Lye Clumps :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerianne

Reaction score
I made a couple of batches of goats milk soap this weekend, with the milk frozen into ice cubes. I noticed when I was mixing the lye with the gm cubes, there was a large clump at the bottom. So I fished it out with my spoon before I combined with the oils.

Alas, after cutting I noticed two bars with white chunks and oil seeping out. I thought it was just oil leaking out as this happened with my other gm/honey bar. So....I licked it to see if it zappped. BAD IDEA, now I have a small sore on my tongue :(.

Anyhow, would it be a bad idea to use as it without rebatching? I cut the bars pretty thin (about 1"), and I didn't see any other clumps..

Also, I've never had this happen before. Could it be because I had the gm in my freezer too long before I used it?

I would not chance it... you never know what is inside that 1"
Also, I don't think that the gm in the freezer is the issue either. I've had some in the freezer for years and it's fine. As long as it doesn't get freezer burned and you aren't going to consume it, it should be fine for soaping, no matter how old it is.
How well did you stir the GM/Lye solution? I usually stir continually until the milk is slushy to make sure the lye is fully incorporated.

I stirred it pretty well, until the ice cubes were completely dissolved and then some. The lye water didn't really heat up though, because all of the liquid was frozen.

Latest posts

Back