Lotion Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egirlxx7

Reaction score
I would like to make a nice thick and rich lotion for the fall and winter.
I am looking for something not too too thick like a body butter - although this follows the format of swiftcraft monkeys body butter, but I`d still like it to work with a pump bottle if possible

7% Cocoa Butter
7% Shea Butter
4% Avocado Oil
4% Sunflower Oil
6% Polawax
2% Glycerin
2% Olive Oil
3% Cetyl Alcohol
1% FO/EO
1% Preservative
63% Water

If you want it to be a pumpable lotion, you'll have to increase the water to at least 70%. That will give you a fairly thick not-runny lotion that will dispense with a pump.

I would reduce the oils and butters by about 7% -- maybe 5% cocoa butter, 5% shea, 3% avocado, 3% sunflower, 2% olive. Reduce the polawax to 4.5-5% (to keep the polawax at about 25% of your oil phase ingredients). Voila, room for 8-8.5% more water.

I'd make a test batch to make sure you like the skin feel and texture. Everyone's different, so what I like might not work for you.

I think the cetyl alcohol is a good choice for a thickener -- it give the lotion a softer whipped cream texture. Stearic acid would be an alternative thickener, but it will create more of a cream cheese texture. I like the cetyl better, IMO.

Don't know about you, but I found a 200 gram batch size is about the smallest I can make with good results. When I was trying to make 100 g batches, I learned that measuring errors were causing too much variability in my lotions.

Good luck -- sounds like a fun project!

lol, I was just trying something new.... I`m trying to convince myself that I like making lotions. and that I will do more. This was only a 8oz batch to see what its like,.... I have used stearic acid before, as well.

I have had all the ingredients to make lotions for a really long while, but I shied away from it each time when memories of my first few lotions escapades came to my mind.

....Definitely not a story for the web... But I`m anxious to see how it is by morning, as it has thickened up a bit more now.

Here is one of the easiest and nicest recipes I have found. I do heat and hold my water and oil phase, where she does not. I recommend doing so to kill all the bacteria, molds etc. She uses cocoa butter, but you could substitute any other butter and oil for the ones she uses. I make the first one using distilled water. You might want to add a little more water for a more liquid lotion as this one is pretty thick.

Click on the "How To Video" Lotion Making 101, at the top left hand corner.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110716100633/http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

Thank you, I will give this one a try as well, I like the all cocoa butter idea!

This one is a bit greasy going on, but soon sinks right into the skin. You might choose another butter or add a little modified tapioca starch.

This one is a bit greasy going on, but soon sinks right into the skin. You might choose another butter or add a little modified tapioca starch.

My husband likes the thick lotion like Keri Lotion, that`s greasy too. He didn't like my other lotion I made in the past as it didn't do anything much for his skin (it was a light lotion) So this may just be perfect. I have tapioca powder, I think that`s the same thing, and I also have arrowroot powder, do you think the later would work as well?

Last edited:
Back