Looking through last years soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamela

Reaction score
I found last years soaps (I just recently moved) and was looking through them all. Some of them made it and others did not (DOS). Is there anything you can add to your soaps to make them last longer. Seems some of mine went bad within the year. And I have soaps that I have bought from other soapers 2 years ago and they are just find, like the day I bought them. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

well

soap with fresh oils
limit the use of canola and soybean oil
cure & store your soaps in a relatively dry area (DOS loves humidity)
soap with "soft" or distilled water, or filtered, if you have DOS issues
use antioxidants (I like sodium citrate + BHT if necessary, but usually opt for nothing)
some EOs seem to promote DOS - so see in what way soaps with DOS are different from those without
sort out any DOS soaps from the rest - it seems contageous
store your soaps so they can "breathe"
do not place your soaps directly onto metal shelving - good quality stainless steel seems ok, but cheap stainless, chromed metal, etc seems problematic

Did you take notes and keep your recipes? If so look back at those recipes and the ingredients you used to determine if there is a common ingredient that may be the issue....like carebear said, canola and soybean oils are notorious for DOS.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to do that this afternoon! Really helpful information. I love this forum! I'm still trying to learn to make that perfect bar! I do believe that some of them do have canola and soybean when I first started making soaps so thats probably the problem with them. Again thank you for the tips!!

Back