looking for rebatch directions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjfan74

Reaction score
Could someone point me in the direction of instructions/ directions on rebatching? Also, once I rebatch, does the cure time start over or since I'm using heat for rebatch, is the soap ready to use after it sets up?

Thanks for any guidance! I have never rebatched before and I have a batch of soap that turned out brittle for some reason even though it's a tried, true and trusted recipe I have used in the past....doesn't zap, but doesn't look to pretty right now either!

Genny, I looked at the tutorial you linked me to but I have just a few more questions - how much liquid do you add? Is there a rule of thumb, so many oz per pound or something? Also, do you add the liquid and additional oil, or is it an either/ or kind of situation?

Here's a method that works well for me. Don't have a link unfortunately, but this comes from another soap forum.

Shread your soap to rebatch. I use a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio - 2/3 new soap oils to 1/3 soap shreads. So make a new batch of soap, use lye amount for the 2/3 amount. For instance, you normally do 30 oz of oils, make a new batch with fresh oils of 20 oz. Use appropriate amount of lye/water for 20 oz. Mix to a thin trace. Then add the 10 oz of soap shreads and blend well.

This method seems to create a smoother soap than a crock method to me. You don't use up as much shreads at a time, but I like the results better.

Genny, I looked at the tutorial you linked me to but I have just a few more questions - how much liquid do you add? Is there a rule of thumb, so many oz per pound or something? Also, do you add the liquid and additional oil, or is it an either/ or kind of situation?

I use 1/2 oz of milk per pound of rebatch. I usually don't add extra oil unless I'm rebatching due to missing an oil originally.

Grumpy cat knows what's up:

grumpy.jpg

Here's a method that works well for me. Don't have a link unfortunately, but this comes from another soap forum.

Shread your soap to rebatch. I use a 2/3 to 1/3 ratio - 2/3 new soap oils to 1/3 soap shreads. So make a new batch of soap, use lye amount for the 2/3 amount. For instance, you normally do 30 oz of oils, make a new batch with fresh oils of 20 oz. Use appropriate amount of lye/water for 20 oz. Mix to a thin trace. Then add the 10 oz of soap shreads and blend well.

This method seems to create a smoother soap than a crock method to me. You don't use up as much shreads at a time, but I like the results better.

This is my preferred method for rebatching on soap that's more than a week old.

This is my preferred method for rebatching on soap that's more than a week old.

If the soap is only a few days old, could I just chop it up and put it in a crockpot on low without adding any liquid? Also, if I try to rebatch GM soap, will it scorch?

I rebatch GM soap when I have to (totally stole that grumpy cat pic...) My husband does it better than I do. I'm stingy with adding more liquids, he adds quite a bit of water. I've never had a problem rebatching GM soap in the crock pot.

If it's a smaller batch, you could try using the microwave. You have to keep a close eye on it because it's fast. If it's pretty fresh soap, chunk the soap into small pieces, put it in a microwave safe container with some room for the soap to expand. Zap it for a minute, stir, zap, stir, until it's pourable, then remold. If it's older soap, you'll have to add a bit of liquid. I don't mind rebatching and often enjoy the challenge of making a "limited edition" soap. I will continue to rebatch the soap until I'm happy with it, adding color or fragrance, or whipping it with a hand mixer to lighten it up. Have fun!

I rebatch GM soap when I have to (totally stole that grumpy cat pic...) My husband does it better than I do. I'm stingy with adding more liquids, he adds quite a bit of water. I've never had a problem rebatching GM soap in the crock pot.

I just finished rebatching it in the crockpot. It didn't come out too dark and I didn't have to add any liquid becuase it was pretty soft since I made it on Sunday. Thanks!

Ewenique, the only bowl I had that could fit 5lbs of soap was too big for my microwave, lol. So the crockpot it was :D This was my 1st time rebatching, but I enjoyed it so much I might try a HP soap next!

Karol, so we just add in the shreds (in dry form) into the lightly traced new batch?

For a good rebatch, make sure the soap pot is covered tightly so the steam stays in the soap. You get a nicely gelled soap. You might even try covering the actual soap with plastic while in the crock pot.

Allane

Rhapsodycrafter - I was curious about the time it takes to cure as well, I have week old soap that I want to rebatch. I can't see it being ready sooner than originally it would have been…unless my cp soap, once rebatched, is now more of a hp soap. My understanding is that HP soap is 'cured' as soon as it hardens, but I could be wrong on this. I haven't really looked into that process.

Latest posts

Back