Looking for Dish Soap bar recipe.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve searched here on the forum and I haven’t found any. I’ve found a couple online. But, I’m looking for a recipe for a bar soap that would be good for washing dishes, not a liquid soap.
Thanks in advance!

100% coconut oil with 0 superfat. Might be a bit rough on skin though, I'd use gloves for hand washing to prevent dryness.
Might? 😏😁 The consequences of using such a soap without glove can be nigh detrimental to our poor skin. We don't want out hands to look this ought, do we? 😛
chickenfoot.jpg

I've seen people using 100% lard soap with 0% SF as laundry and dish soap. It doesn't lather well and takes longer to scrub but I imagine it's more gentle on the hand.
I use a 100% CO liquid soap myself and I don't wear gloves when doing dishes. But than again I wash maybe 5 dishes a week and always apply moisturizers right after.

If you use a scrub brush with your dishes, and keep your hands out of the soapy water, the 100%CO -0%SF will be great. I'm personally not that coordinated, and also hate to wear gloves, so I keep my homemade hand butter nearby.

Is there a formula that wont give me chicken hands, but will clean dishes?
Like everyone mentioned, 100% coconut oil is the trend. You can try 50% each coconut oil and lard with a 0% superfat but I don't know if that would be any more gentle. It'll still clean plenty.

Like everyone mentioned, 100% coconut oil is the trend. You can try 50% each coconut oil and lard with a 0% superfat but I don't know if that would be any more gentle. It'll still clean plenty.
@Arimara I've tried 100% lard on my dishes and it didn't remove the food grease, so I stuck with 100% CO. I never thought to try 50-50 lard-CO, so thanks for that suggestion. I have a bunch of tallow so may try 50% tallow with 50% CO as well.

@Arimara I've tried 100% lard on my dishes and it didn't remove the food grease, so I stuck with 100% CO. I never thought to try 50-50 lard-CO, so thanks for that suggestion. I have a bunch of tallow so may try 50% tallow with 50% CO as well.
Tallow might be better. It is a little more cleansing than lard. Didn't think about that one. :)

I like tallow in skin creams but prefer lard in soaps - non-dish soaps, that is. So if I can use up my abundant tallow inventory on dish soap, and save my lard for the hand-body soap, I'm happy!
Thanks. The other recipes I found were CO %80 and Castor Oil %20 With zero SF. Would a %1 SF leave a residue on dishes?
I also have a lot of tallow and use it in most of my skin care. Would a %70CO %20Tallow %10Castor w a %1 SF be a good possibility?

Thanks. The other recipes I found were CO %80 and Castor Oil %20 With zero SF. Would a %1 SF leave a residue on dishes?
I also have a lot of tallow and use it in most of my skin care. Would a %70CO %20Tallow %10Castor w a %1 SF be a good possibility?
I personally wouldn't see the need for castor oil in a dish soap, but perhaps someone else could chime in as to how that could be beneficial. Normally castor oil is used to stabilize or increase lather, but coconut oil produces plenty of lather on its own.

I like the idea of 80%CO and 20% tallow, or even 50-50, as suggested in another post, above. Using a 1% SF probably wouldn't leave grease on the dishes, and it would give you a little margin of error. Maybe give it a try and see what you think! If you make it as HP, you can try some of it right away (although it won't be long-lasting) while you let the rest of it cure.

A 1% superfat probably won't hurt since its dishes but I do caution not to consider such a soap for laundry.
Maybe I shouldn't but I do use a 1% superfat in laundry soap for a little margin just so the soap doesn't go a little over in the lye heavy direction. I don't want to fade colours by having it go that way.

Maybe I shouldn't but I do use a 1% superfat in laundry soap for a little margin just so the soap doesn't go a little over in the lye heavy direction. I don't want to fade colours by having it go that way.

My laundry soap has a -3% superfat and I haven't noticed any colors fading. I think I based the -3 on another discussion on laundry soap in another thread. Obviously, would never use it for for dishes or handle it without gloves.

My laundry soap has a -3% superfat and I haven't noticed any colors fading. I think I based the -3 on another discussion on laundry soap in another thread. Obviously, would never use it for for dishes or handle it without gloves.

How do you get a negative lye discount?

Also, would 100% CO with 0% SF work for laundry as well?

I would stick with the 0% SF. Using a -3% simply makes you afraid to use it, and will likely end up a 0% SF by the time it is cured.

Are you planning on grating this for use in dishwater, and are you aware that you aren't going to get a nice lather?

I would stick with the 0% SF. Using a -3% simply makes you afraid to use it, and will likely end up a 0% SF by the time it is cured.

Are you planning on grating this for use in dishwater, and are you aware that you aren't going to get a nice lather?

Is this for the OP and her dishwashing plans? Or my reply to a question about laundry soap?

If directed at me, I grate it up and use it in a clothes washing machine, scooped out with a spoon, so there is no contact with skin.

Back