looking for a soothing recipe for lotion bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpiofire

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I want to make some lotion bars for my mom and i need a soothing recipe.My mom's hands are all irrited and cracked from the side effects of her chemotherapy.Here's what i have to work with :
olive oil
sunflower oil mid-oleic
grapeseed oil
sweet almond oil
wheat germ oil
coconut oil
cocoa butter
shea butter both refined and natural

and several EO's :
orange 5x
grapefruit
lime
peppermint
lavander
lemongrass
rosemary
anise star
cedarwood
wintergreen

Thanks in advance :)

hmmm, I just read this exact post (word for word). I assume, as we did over there, that you are looking for a LOTION product not soap - correct???
if so - no fragrance products, try a balm...

or are you trying to concoct a mild soap?

Evening primrose oil is so great for distressed skin .. I love it. It's a bit expensive but well worth the money. I wish your Mom the best.

So sorry about the chemo, I hope you're both doing ok.

Are you looking for a solid lotion bar? Try a little cocoa butter, for hardness, some soothing shea and little sweet almond to soften it up a bit. You might decide that the EO's are unnecessary, I've heard that the sense of smell can be kinda wacky during chemo and most of the time an unscented product is better.

My best to both of you.

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone.
Just made a batch using beeswax,shea butter,cocoa butter,almond oil and grapeseed oil.Its a 9 oz batch i wanted to add a few drops of tea tree(for its antiseptic properties) but i also wanted to mask that scent. I went with 10 drops of lavander,10 drops of orange 5x,2 drops of peppermint and 2 drops of tea tree. The scent came out very light which is what i wanted.Brought it over to her as soon as it was solid, she loved it! She'd been using some expensive creams but they just weren't cutting it.
The best gift you can offer anyone battling cancer : love and comfort.

As far as fragrance is concerned,i would normally agree with all of you and leave things unscented.If i was making this for someone i didnt know personaly except for the bare facts. But in this case ,this being my mother,i knew she loves scents.

Lucy said:
No fragrance at all. Not even essential oil.
agreed. scented products at this time often lead to total nauseating aversion later on. which means she may never tolerate those scents again. plus it may set off things like nausea even now, or cause problems because her skin may be super sensitive.

now is the time for totally unscented products.

plus with cocoa butter in it you will find it continues to harden up over several days, beeswax too but to a lesser degree - so what she has in a few days may be different in texture than what you think you gave her.

scorpiofire said:
As far as fragrance is concerned,i would normally agree with all of you and leave things unscented.If i was making this for someone i didnt know personaly except for the bare facts. But in this case ,this being my mother,i knew she loves scents.

Wow! Those are beautiful. She's lucky to have you for a daughter.

Deda said:
scorpiofire said:

Wow! Those are beautiful. She's lucky to have you for a daughter.

Thanks Deda but its the other way around, i'm sooo lucky to have such an amazing lady as a mother. She's been fighting for 11 yrs against breast cancer and her battle will end soon. I want the remaining days to be as happy and comfortable as possible.

scorpiofire said:
Thanks Deda but its the other way around, i'm sooo lucky to have such an amazing lady as a mother.
You are proof that amazing ladies create amazing daughters. The lotion bars are beautiful and no doubt, more special to her because you made them for her.
3.gif

Digit

My thoughts will be with you and your mother. along with the lotion bars you can make her a very good moisturizing soap. I like to use alot of sunflower oil and milk combinations or sweet almond and milk combinations. it's helps alot of my family and friends dry skin conditions. But everyone is unique she may need a different type of moisturizer but it wouldnt hurt to try :wink:

I've made a soap with an herbal infusion of chamomille, calandula and nettle superfatted with plenty of shea butter,scented with lemongrass and orange EO. I wanted to make her some nice castille soap but it takes so long to cure...

Back