Dawn's lotion bar trials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
So.. First time to post something in this part of this wonderful forum :)

There was a time when we in this house experimented with botanical and herbal teas and I was looking at the leftover plant material and decided to infuse the bits n pieces in olive and sweet almond oils.

I'll call this a test of the process, not so much the ingredients because future bars will have infusions and EOs (this one doesn't yet) that are meant to be there, not just what I happen to have around.

Gosh.. My beeswax didn't wanna stay melted for more than a few seconds. Been raining all week here n though it's nice weather to work in (no sweating lol), lotions, balms n soaps are another story.

Anyway... Plant matter in these are bits of the following:
Sage
Rosehips
Nettle
Pomegranate flowers
Apple flowers
Lavender
And I decided to throw in some star anise, just coz lol

Other ingredients are coconut oil, olive oil.. mango, shea n cocoa butters, and beeswax.

Now that I got the how done, next updates are all gonna be geared towards the effectiveness of the recipe.

For now, I present my first ever lotion bars.... Freshly poured lol I'll update later when they're solid, I'm just that excited hehe
IMG_20190702_180719.jpg

Comments, tips, suggestions, whathaveyous are always welcome :)

Thanks @SoaperForLife and @Cellador!

They do indeed smell nice. More cocoa butter than anything else. My mom and a friend who happens to be here likes em already but personally I think they're too draggy.

Thinking if it's the beeswax or the cocoa butter I should reduce....

Oh here they are all done!
IMG_20190702_201608.jpg

You can tell which one we tried, the bee is almost gone lol. I guess that's the downside of this kind of mold.

Lotion bars (and lip balm and bath bombs) have been on my list for a long time as well!! But I keep on being too busy with soap to try other stuff yet[emoji6] Have fun experimenting, as I'm sure you will! I'm going to enjoy reading your journey [emoji4]

I have a 3, 2, 2. ratio to my lotion bars. 3 Coconut Oil, 2 Coco Butter, and 2 Bees Wax. I add in vitamin E and scent if I want to. I use a 2 oz, cake mold from Michael's, to make a bar that fits into a 3 oz short flat can. If you get the oils hot and then add in the bees wax, it will not harden up on you as fast.

what makes it. “Lotion Bar”?

Lotion bars are the solid form of a regular lotion. Think of a big lip balm that you tip into your had and rub the melted oils on the rough bits.

Oooh @szaza, the things I have planned for this.. Scent, color.. God forbid I need new molds lol
I have a 3, 2, 2. ratio to my lotion bars. 3 Coconut Oil, 2 Coco Butter, and 2 Bees Wax. I add in vitamin E and scent if I want to. I use a 2 oz, cake mold from Michael's, to make a bar that fits into a 3 oz short flat can. If you get the oils hot and then add in the bees wax, it will not harden up on you as fast.
Thanks for the tips! :)

They look great and I can’t wait to see/hear more. I just bought that bee mold last week! I’m planning to use it today to make some itty bitty soaps with a new recipe that has some honey.

They look great and I can’t wait to see/hear more. I just bought that bee mold last week! I’m planning to use it today to make some itty bitty soaps with a new recipe that has some honey.
I bought it for the same reason.. Itty bitty beeswax n honey soaps lol... Which I haven't made again in a while hehehe

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that mold! Where did you find it? It's just too adorable and perfect for lotion bars. My recipe is equal parts cocoa butter, bees wax and avocado oil but I think it's a bit too draggy also. My next batch will be to add mango butter in equal parts to the others so each will be 25% instead of 33%. I'm hoping it won't end up too soft.

My niece used the little plastic containers that straight pins come in (for sewing, quilting, etc.) to pour her lotion bars into. I thought they were perfect containers because they had tight lids, up-cycled and re-usable again and again. Plus they were perfect for in-purse travel. Disposable plastic condiment cups come with lids, and I thing they'd make perfect lotion bar molds, too because they would become the packaging.

My niece used the little plastic containers that straight pins come in (for sewing, quilting, etc.) to pour her lotion bars into. I thought they were perfect containers because they had tight lids, up-cycled and re-usable again and again. Plus they were perfect for in-purse travel. Disposable plastic condiment cups come with lids, and I thing they'd make perfect lotion bar molds, too because they would become the packaging.

What a terrific idea using straight pin containers earlene! I've always hated trying to package lotion bars then make them easy to use. I'm not sure the disposable plastic condiment cups would hold up to the heat though. With bees wax in my recipe, I usually pour relatively hot so it stays fluid.

@KristaY I bought these locally, sorry.. But I'm sure Amazon has it. Lemme come back to ya with some links.

Thanks @earlene.. These are now still in the mold coz I'm not sure where to put them lol not very good planning on my part haha

There's not much plastic anything in the house because we've been trying to cut down for a couple of years now... I'll have to see what else I can use for packaging.

Love your molds. Very cute.

I prefer the in shower type of lotion bars with an emulsifier as they are not too draggy but as with all lotion bars I struggle to keep them solid during summer.

Love your molds. Very cute.

I prefer the in shower type of lotion bars with an emulsifier as they are not too draggy but as with all lotion bars I struggle to keep them solid during summer.
That's one reason I only started making them now that it's slowly getting cooler here. In our summer I'm sure it'll melt no matter how much beeswax I mix in.

I remelted three of the bars and added 5 grams lavender infused almond oil. It's less draggy now but I'm waiting to see how it stands up to heat. These smell nicer too. Who knew cocoa butter n lavender (scents) go together lol

What a terrific idea using straight pin containers earlene! I've always hated trying to package lotion bars then make them easy to use. I'm not sure the disposable plastic condiment cups would hold up to the heat though. With bees wax in my recipe, I usually pour relatively hot so it stays fluid.

I struggle with this as well....I don't think it would be too hot to pour (even with beeswax), but I think the condiment containers would fall apart pretty quickly. The lids especially seem very prone to cracking.
So far, I just put mine in plastic bags...or if they're for home use, I leave them lying around on Kleenexes ;-P

Latest posts

Back