Looking for a hair mousse recipe please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrine025

Reaction score
I have searched and searched for a hair mousse recipe and have found nothing to build upon. The thought had crossed my mind to use a foamer bottle to get the mousse like texture (well not quite like commercial ones but close enough). I have always used a mousse on my roots for volume and would like a natural version so I can use all natural products on my hair.

This isn't a mousse at all, but I've seen recipes for saltwater sprays to add volume. Sorry, I don't have much experience with hair products other than shampoo bars & rinses.

EDIT:

You could try whipped shea butter with aloe gel if you're looking for something with a little more hold... but you'd have to preserve it somehow because aloe gel is water-based. You could buy some very high-proof liquor (any old rock-gut liquor, it doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to be close to 100% alcohol) and use it as at least 25% of your recipe to prevent bacteria from growing. For example, you could do 2 parts shea, 1 part aloe gel, 1 part vodka.

Last edited:
That kind of product from the blog is the opposite of what you'd want for volume. In her case what it does is define the curls allowing them to be curlier, and also weigh them down. If you applied it to your roots your hair would look greasy. And if you don't have naturally wavy or curly hair, I think it would make it look stringy when applied to the length of the hair.

I tried the saltwater spray but didnt like how my hair felt at all so im at a loss here. I made an awesome leave in that I LOVE and Im actually selling it now. My hair is so soft. I use shampoo bars and an apple cider vinegar rinse with my leave in and my hair is pretty amazing, just wanted something for the roots for a little lift

Back