Longevity and? vs? rinsability--is it a tradeoff?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm imagining there's a characteristic that isn't actually separate from others. I don't need "squeaky clean" but rather fast rinse-off of the soap itself. Maybe those are the same thing? But I figured the Cleansing value in soap calculators gets at the squeaky clean vs. leave-some-oils-behind aspect, and Longevity is itself, but then is Rinseability something else--controlled by different combo of fatty acids, superfat, additives? Or will an easily rinsed-off soap be either always highly cleansing, OR always short-lived? Just not sure what that quality is tied to. Sorry if I'm being dense!
I don't think cleansing in the soap calculators is what you are looking for. It's low superfat you want. Superfat stays on the skin and you feel like you need to keep rinsing and rinsing to get it off. Try a low or no superfat soap and see if that gives you the quality you want. But make sure you put some more stearic/palmitic in there is you want your soap to have some longevity.

I agree. My soaps are 1-2% SF usually (I really don't like the greasy feel -- so it's not just a gender thing :) ), and you can make a nice mild soap with that too, you don't need all that extra oil.
But even with that, one soap differs from the next. In all my low-SF soaps, the more oleic the soap is, the more "greasy" it feels. So I'm trying to keep the oleic content in the lower range.

Thanks @KiwiMoose and @atiz --the superfat thing might be at the heart of it and I will totally experiment with that. Happy to know there is a promising approach that wouldn't be a compromise on longevity.

Latest posts

Back