Tweaking my shampoo soap- looking for additives of value

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, coconut oil does not contain protein. It's a fat.

Thanks Deeanna, I wondered about that but the gals over on the hair forum I go to always say not to use coconut oil if you are sensitive to protein. Must be something else in it that makes some peoples hair brittle.

Thanks Deeanna, I wondered about that but the gals over on the hair forum I go to always say not to use coconut oil if you are sensitive to protein. Must be something else in it that makes some peoples hair brittle.

I'm probably on the same hair forum! The deal with coconut oil is that it prevents protein loss, so if your hair gets protein-overloaded easily, and you use other protein-containing products, and then oil with coconut oil, you're more likely to end up with protein overload than if you oiled with another oil.

I also found coconut oil makes my hair feel "crunchy" in the winter because it solidifies before absorbing. But if you're not using other protein-containing products, you're probably fine to use coconut oil.

Well, no one who knows me in real life will ever accuse me of being good with hair. I'm a "put 'er in a pony tail and let's go" kind of person. :) I didn't know that coconut oil is not always good to use on hair. Thanks for explaining why -- very helpful!

I'm probably on the same hair forum! The deal with coconut oil is that it prevents protein loss, so if your hair gets protein-overloaded easily, and you use other protein-containing products, and then oil with coconut oil, you're more likely to end up with protein overload than if you oiled with another oil.

I also found coconut oil makes my hair feel "crunchy" in the winter because it solidifies before absorbing. But if you're not using other protein-containing products, you're probably fine to use coconut oil.

For your 3rd post, you completely just put the rest of us newbies to shame! Thank you very much for explaining this!

Great explanation tealeaves, thank you. I haven't tried coconut on my hair in a long time, not after the last mess it made. I don't use ANY protein on my hair anymore, that has made a huge difference in the condition of my hair. I stick to olive oil or shea butter now.

Hmmm... I have been making and using shampoo bars for 6-7 months now and I love how my hair looks. Even the girl who cut my hair noticed how healthy and naturally highlighted it looked.
My ends are always an issue - because of dying and of longer hair and of not getting my hair cut every 6 weeks... But otherwise I only notice a positive effect. I have less hair falling out, although not enough "less" to make me happy. ;-)
Now I am feeling a little paranoid, people. I just know I am going to have nightmares tonight about my hair falling out. :Kitten Love:

I am off to check out the conditioning bar you spoke of at monkey... I do still use conditioner. And this syndet bar you speak of, it contains sulfates? parabens?

I went no-poo for a couple years and my hair never fully adjusted to it, I alternated between really dry and oddly waxy. Maybe that's why CP bars don't seem too bad to me! I also only wash my hair once a week, so I'd imagine the damage is a lot less than in those who wash daily.

I've read that clay can be good for curls (which kind I'm not sure-so helpful!), so maybe try that next?

Great explanation tealeaves, thank you. I haven't tried coconut on my hair in a long time, not after the last mess it made. I don't use ANY protein on my hair anymore, that has made a huge difference in the condition of my hair. I stick to olive oil or shea butter now.

I've actually found my homemade tallow-and-rosehip-oil balm to be the best thing for my hair lately. One of the reasons I decided to try making my own soap. It's so hard to find handmade soaps for sale locally that use animal fats.

Prairie ... Since you would be the creator of the shampoo, you can control the ingredients. So no nasty stuff unless you choose to use them!

p.s. no nightmares about losing my hair.
DeeAnna, are you talking about finding a recipe for liquid actual shampoo? I do not see any that do not contain lots of chemicals............... yep, i am totally calling that which i do not know a chemical. btms? and other initials? HA!
in this case, i prefer the easy way - someone else do it for me.
but i LOVE my shampoo bars!!!

BTMS is behentrimonium methosulfate. It's a conditioning emulsifier, brilliant for making your own conditioner, though I wouldn't use it in a shampoo. I'm not sure why all the fear about 'chemicals', after all is soap not a chemical?! And there may in fact be other 'chemicals' which are kinder to your hair than soap...

"...DeeAnna, are you talking about finding a recipe for liquid actual shampoo? I do not see any that do not contain lots of chemicals............... yep, i am totally calling that which i do not know a chemical. btms? and other initials? HA! ..."

Susan at swiftcraftymonkey is all about teaching people to do their own formulating. Although she does share recipes, she encourages readers to adapt her recipes to suit the readers' needs. I guess I understood you to mean you were wanting to make your own shampoo, and that is why I said what I did -- if you make your own shampoo rather than follow someone else's recipe blindly, then you can choose what chemicals are in your shampoo to suit yourself.

As far as BTMS goes, people can use it or not as they wish (and Soapswirl is right; it's not something that would be used in shampoo), but I encourage people do so based on facts. People who make decisions based on "I don't want to use 'chemicals'" mode of thinking often make some odd and unrealistic decisions, because their choices are based on rejecting the unfamiliar, not on a realistic assessment of a chemical's risks and benefits.

For example, I could talk about dihydronium oxide. Doesn't the name sound rather sinister -- even something that might be explosive or highly burnable? If a person reacts to the unfamiliar name and does not look into what this chemical does, then dihydronium oxide might end up on that person's list to avoid. But the name is just a synonym for water.

I make a very simple surfactant bar which although it isn't sulphate free, seems to be pretty kind to my sensitive scalp. I melt sodium coco sulphate powder in a little coconut oil and add some silk or rice protein - that's it. It makes a hard, long lasting bar which gives great lather.

I have also made a liquid shampoo without sulphates, I think the ingredients were a bit more expensive and you need to use a preservative but it is equally as effective as the bars. I used a blend of coco glucoside, lauryl glucoside, cocomidopropyl betaine and SCI, diluted in water again with some proteins added.

I save all other additives for my conditioner, panthenol, ceramides etc but I think some people do use them in shampoos.

Someone else mentioned swiftcrafttmonkey - I completely agree that there is a huge amount of information there and encourage you to check it out!

Hope this is some help, good luck :)

So, I have checked out the monkey lady and PHEW...so much info! I have just gotten a handle on CP and lingo and ingredients...this is a whole NEW ball game!

I checked out hair group, which is good for me since I learned a bunch there too.

Having gone back to shampoos--I found that my scalp health is a problem (dandruff/sores) with the shampoos I used. I used them for a week and decided if they caused problem. I have to wash my hair daily due to sweat-soaked hair workouts.. Most of them do cause problems with my scalp so far.

I now know I need to either find some without irritants to me or try to make my own, (probably bar form) that makes my head happy.

My question for you--since you have made one--I feel the process I can handle, but it is finding the ingredients from the best source in the States. Can you make a recommend for a place to get all stuff in one spot?

If I need help with this, should I post a thread in CP? It would be a bar, but not CP/HP.

Is there a forum for stuff like that--anyone know? I thought I would try to ask on the blog if I needed, but I do love the forum when looking for opinions... :)

Any help and direction would be fab!

I was just looking at that shop lol. They look really nice but my hair can't handle any kind of added protein, makes it brittle. So no coconut oil, keratin or other added proteins.

I might have found something I can use, no proteins or oils I can't use and no nasty waxy stearic. https://www.etsy.com/listing/185557122/peppermint-shampoo-bar

Hi Obsidian!
That is my Etsy shop and shampoo bars, haha!
I highly recommend them (I am obviously biased), the conditioner is also really good. If you want more information on which bar is best for you, you can check out my blog post about it! http://bathvs.com/hair-care-faqs/
My website is easier to navigate than the Etsy store, and it also has better photos and descriptions are updated.
As a side note, I tried doing a CP shampoo recipe before that I got from the forum, and my hair could not handle it, since I have freakishly long hair that is super curly and fussy.

So, I have checked out the monkey lady and PHEW...so much info! I have just gotten a handle on CP and lingo and ingredients...this is a whole NEW ball game!

I checked out hair group, which is good for me since I learned a bunch there too.

Having gone back to shampoos--I found that my scalp health is a problem (dandruff/sores) with the shampoos I used. I used them for a week and decided if they caused problem. I have to wash my hair daily due to sweat-soaked hair workouts.. Most of them do cause problems with my scalp so far.

I now know I need to either find some without irritants to me or try to make my own, (probably bar form) that makes my head happy.

My question for you--since you have made one--I feel the process I can handle, but it is finding the ingredients from the best source in the States. Can you make a recommend for a place to get all stuff in one spot?

If I need help with this, should I post a thread in CP? It would be a bar, but not CP/HP.

Is there a forum for stuff like that--anyone know? I thought I would try to ask on the blog if I needed, but I do love the forum when looking for opinions... :)

Any help and direction would be fab!

I'm glad you've enjoyed your research and ready to try making some!

In terms of asking more about shampoos on the forum, the bath and body forum might be the best place as it's not soap we're talking about. I and others here will be happy to look at recipes and help where we can.

I also have a really sensitive scalp and problems with dandruff which is why i started making my own stuff. It's good to be able to control your ingredients so you can see what works for you.

I'm afraid i can't offer any advice on sourcing ingredients in the US as i live in the UK. Hopefully others will be able to advise you on this :)

Back