Loaf mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttsmom

Reaction score
I think I would like to try making loafs vs regular bars. I have looked at oodles of molds on the web and can't decide. Anyone recommend a good loaf mold and cutter?

I bought mine from a guy on Ebay. They are made of a hard white material and come apart. I love them because they are perfectly rectangular.

It depends on how much you're willing to spend. You can always line a shoe box and use it or even use a milk carton. Wood molds have to be lined which is why a lot of people prefer silicone molds. Other people prefer acrylic which you also don't have to line although you may want to spray it with a food grade silicone or swab it with cyclomethicone.

As Soapourri mentioned there are molds for sale on eBay. You could also check through the Shopping Recommendations section for info on suppliers. Off the top of my head, some suppliers are Brambleberry, soap-making-resource.com and Wholesale Supplies Plus.

I forgot to mention I've bought silicone baking molds from overstock.com and loved them. I looked and there are some reasonably priced loaf pans on the site. You'd probably have to set it in a another box to prevent the mold from bowing but these molds will work well for soap.

Also, it looks like overstock is running a shipping special right now. Only $2.95 if you live in the continental US.

Thank you all for the replies, off to check out the recommendations now.

I love the 10 inch silicone loaf mold from Bramble Berry. You can see through it if you are layering, the bars are perfectly rectangular, and the loaf comes out nice and clean.

I've used all kinds of molds.....I finally had a guy make them for me out of poplar. I had him make 2 with lids....to use for both MP and CP soap and they both hold 5 pounds of soap each. It cost me about 20 dollars to make both of them. I love them and won't use anything else. Experiment and find out what you like to use the best.

Sanctuary

I love my wooden loaf molds. My wonderful son in law made them for me! He hinged (is that a word)them so the side lay down. I don't have a top I just use plastic wrap, but I'm sure he'd make me some if I ask. And I use to line with freezer paper til I join this forum and found smart people who line with mylar and/or contact paper, now I do that it's reuseable :) and you don't have to tape :D

I find the silicone loaf molds work the best for me when making M&P soap loafs. Bought mine at Whole Sale Supplies Plus but if BB has clear one's I would use those.

This is a picture of my cutter, it has cut many bars of soap without incident.

SoapCutters.jpg

The top one is a log cutter and the bottom one is a bar cutter.

Yeah... looks slick. Anyone have any idea what they used on the wood to create the non-stick surface? (And why doesn't everyone else use it?)

Just looked at that video again. That looks bogus to me. It FELL off the soap. Like maybe they took it out, then put it in, then took it out for the vid? Can't imagine any CP coming out of anything like that.

I definitely like silicone loaf pans for MP the best. The soap comes out nice and clean. I got my from WSP online. I've tried others, but keep coming back to the silicone ones.

Genny said:
I use these from The Dollar Tree. They're sold as 2 medium size ones (holds approx. 32 oz of oils) for $1. Or one larger one (holds approx. 42 oz of oils) for $1.
http://www.dollartree.com/teachers-supp ... hod=search

I've used them with MP, CP and HP. They work great.

I just came from my dollar store before I saw this post. I went in looking for some gift bags for Christmas and came out with a bunch of containers like the ones you showed so I could try making a MP loaf. They might not be as big as some of those other fancy molds but it did the trick.

It's amazing how many things can be used as a mold.

Back