List of irritants in essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosetown

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm about to make some labels for my soaps, and would need to present the allergens present in the soap from the essential oils, like geraniol, linalool, limonene, citral etc.

Is there any list of what all essential oil contain?
It was a little bit harder to find that i thought. Cant really find anything except maybe to search each one and so on. Any one know anything would be of great help

Last edited:
This site has something like what you're looking for. Point is, you keep the usage rate of those EOs below the threshold of irritant, so I really don't see the point of getting that detailed with it.

In my soaps i use
3% when i use single essential oil
and 2% when i have blends.
That is the recommended usage of essential oils in soaps(bars)
according to CPNP, or the allowed limit..

It doesn't say anything about the allergens in my safety assessment so maybe its under the limit but I'm not sure..

I'm not really sure how to calculate how much its in the soap but everything more that 0.01% has to be on the labels.
So i got a little problem, how to calculate it?

Last edited:
You mean you need to break down each essential oil for your labels? That's utterly ridiculous. The hoops you have to jump through for a wash off product - it boggles my mind. I have no idea how you're going to figure that out.

You mean you need to break down each essential oil for your labels? That's utterly ridiculous. The hoops you have to jump through for a wash off product - it boggles my mind. I have no idea how you're going to figure that out.

I found a list here https://www.nhrorganicoils.com/uploads/Allegens essential oils.pdf , and it contains allot of info.
I think I have to do this because all soaps in Sweden contains the info.
The most common allergens are linalool,geraniol, limonene,citral and some few more. and I always see them on soap labels. I live in the EU, don't know if you are, I think its necessary to put it on labels.
But if i have 3-4 essential oils I will only Wright the most common,

Back