Essential oil Resources

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponificarian

Reaction score
I was looking for a place to share this information with people that use essential oils and couldn’t find any resources thread.

I know there are information embedded in different threads, but I think it would be great to have one dedicated to sharing resources and blending tips.

Here is one from LGbotanicals

Attachments

• HarmoniousBlendsChart.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
Are there any good resources for EOs that are safe to use in CP soaps? I've come across a little but I'm more looking for something comprehensive.

Are there any good resources for EOs that are safe to use in CP soaps? I've come across a little but I'm more looking for something comprehensive.
The website linked in the post above yours provides many eo blends that are safe to use in soap at usage rates that are based on your batch size. Many EO suppliers provide safe usage rates for their products. Look for links to IFRA documentation.

The website linked in the post above yours provides many eo blends that are safe to use in soap at usage rates that are based on your batch size. Many EO suppliers provide safe usage rates for their products. Look for links to IFRA documentation.
By "safe" I mean not accelerating or morphing colors. Why suppliers will give this info for fragrance oils and not essential oils too is beyond me. Though I've come across two very limited lists of accelerating/decelerating essential oils which contradict each other. The websites linked above are extremely limited in terms of the numbers of essential oils given, without any clear explanation of how to evaluate oils not on the list. Plus many of the oils listed are ones I'm allergic to. At this point it seems I just need to say 'f the budget' and randomly experiment with oils.

I guess when this was listed as "Resources" I expected much more comprehensive data, similar to the resource databases of components I'm used to from the other work I do.

By "safe" I mean not accelerating or morphing colors. Why suppliers will give this info for fragrance oils and not essential oils too is beyond me. Though I've come across two very limited lists of accelerating/decelerating essential oils which contradict each other. The websites linked above are extremely limited in terms of the numbers of essential oils given, without any clear explanation of how to evaluate oils not on the list. Plus many of the oils listed are ones I'm allergic to. At this point it seems I just need to say 'f the budget' and randomly experiment with oils.

I guess when this was listed as "Resources" I expected much more comprehensive data, similar to the resource databases of components I'm used to from the other work I do.
The table in this post summarizes some of the information contributed to a long thread about EO longevity and behavior in cp soap. Most makers use EOs in blends, which makes it more challenging to identify a problematic/accelerating EO. In general, if a blend is popular for cp soap, I think it’s safe to assume that it’s also workable. Many blends from EOCalc.com are discussed in this thread.

Any EO that contains eugenol is likely to accelerate. Spices in particular may contain eugenol, with clove and cinnamon at the top of the list. I haven’t used Oregano and Thyme in soap, but they may also be problematic. Floral EOs, and especially Ylang Ylang, also tend to accelerate. One of the few seized batches I ever made was scented with an EO blend that had a high percentage of Ylang Ylang. Palmarosa, Geranium and Patchouli are mild accelerators for me. With the exception of oregano and thyme, I use all of these EOs in soap and avoid acceleration issues by blending them with other EOs that slow acceleration of the final blend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back