Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omasfavorite

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the place to post or not, but I'm curious about something.

I've NEVER made liquid soap, but I'm anxious to start.
My question is this:

Is it possible to make reliable liquid soap using shredded bar soap?
I've made handmade laundry detergent, which requires shredding bar soap, and leaving the consistency
like liquid soap, but I don't know if that's the same as a true liquid soap.

I hope someone can answer this query for me!

Thanks so much!

If you mix shredded bar soap in hot water it will disolve... but it will eventually turn into "egg noodle soup". I've read that adding pectin will keep it liquid.

The "normal" way to make liquid soap however is to use potassium hudroxide instead of sodium hydroxide.

donniej said:
If you mix shredded bar soap in hot water it will disolve... but it will eventually turn into "egg noodle soup". I've read that adding pectin will keep it liquid.

The "normal" way to make liquid soap however is to use potassium hudroxide instead of sodium hydroxide.

Pectin - as in what they use in canning? Cool!

I know the normal way of liquid soap is with Potassium Hydroxide. I've just heard that it takes a long time. I'm not opposed to trying it the 'normal' way - I was just merely curious ;-)

Thanks for the fast reply!

Yes, pectin as in canning. Do a search for more details.

Using potassium hydroxide isn't too bad but you do have to hot process it. It's best to do it in a crock pot and leave it on low for a couple days, stirring occassonally and adding a little water as needed. If you're going to give it a try I reccomend you also add some potassium carbonate, which makes it a lot easier to stir (and it's cheap).

Back