Liquid Soap PH Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtbailey1030

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my third batch attempt at making LS. Today, I tried the glycerin method and I am happy so far. My soap is clear, still have a few chunks left but I'm going to let it sit overnight. I checked the PH using my meter and it's reading at 8.0 Earlier today it was reading at 10. I was surprised it dropped this much just from diluting it. I didn't add anything to neutralize the soap.

Question: can I leave it at 8 or is that too low? If I need to raise it, how do I go about doing that? I think I read somewhere you can add more mixture of KOH/Glycerin, but I don't know how much. Any help is appreciated!

I use the glycerin method, too. If you're truly getting a reading of 8, I'd just leave it alone (i.e., don't add any more KOH to it). It'll be fine. A pH of 8 is not a bad thing since it's still on the alkaline side of the scale.

IrishLass :)

pH of 8 is fine. My soap pH also drops while diluting. After all, you are adding water with a pH of somewhere in the 7 range, why should it not drop?
Anywhere in the 8-10 range is fine. You just don't want it higher than 10, and if you drop it below 7.4(ish), it will separate and no longer be soap.

Back