"Liquid" on top of my soap????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see said:
ive never had the oils float on top but have had a puddle leak out of my wooden molds. ive zap tested and never had a zap. my soaps were fine when i cut.

i could never figure out what was happening. seems kind of random. the 1st time i thought it was b/c the soap got to hot during while insulated but then i had a batch do it the other night that i didnt insulate and it was a bit cooler in the house.. ? im pretty sure mine was not a false trace thing and the pool of oil was no where near what ive seen in pics of soaps that had floating oil.

any clues.

pretty swirls on the post. :)

that sounds more like overheating. which in addition to being related to temperatures of soaping/mold/insulation and such can be caused by some FOs or EOs. I've even had overheating AND partial gel.

Stoopid Newbie Question

I keep seeing "zap" being used. I'm new to this world. What does that mean?

Re: Stoopid Newbie Question

JackiK said:
I keep seeing "zap" being used. I'm new to this world. What does that mean?
You wet your finger with some water. Take that finger and touch it to the soap. Then touch that finger to your tongue. If it zaps, it's like licking a 9 volt battery. It's unmistakeable. It helps to have some juice handy to dilute the zap, then spit it out.

carebear said:
see said:
ive never had the oils float on top but have had a puddle leak out of my wooden molds. ive zap tested and never had a zap. my soaps were fine when i cut.

i could never figure out what was happening. seems kind of random. the 1st time i thought it was b/c the soap got to hot during while insulated but then i had a batch do it the other night that i didnt insulate and it was a bit cooler in the house.. ? im pretty sure mine was not a false trace thing and the pool of oil was no where near what ive seen in pics of soaps that had floating oil.

any clues.

pretty swirls on the post. :)

that sounds more like overheating. which in addition to being related to temperatures of soaping/mold/insulation and such can be caused by some FOs or EOs. I've even had overheating AND partial gel.

thats what i what i was thinking, but then the test i did w/ not insulated made a little pool so i was unsure. i will keep track of what eo i see it happening w/. i did a batch w/ org/litsea/tea tree last night, same temperatures in house, same molds but insulated and no pool. the one i know made a pool was patchouli and lavender. are those too that are prone to overheating?

now that i think of it, it does seem that i had several partial gel batches. im a bit confused about partial gel, because all but one batch i thought was partial gel seem like they have all gone from partial gel discolored to now after a few wks they are all one color. only one batch of tea tree oil has still a faint circle in the middle but even it has greatly improved. is it normal for partial gel to completely gel while curing (like during the 3rd-4th wks)?

thanks

Back