"Liquid" on top of my soap????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsFusion

Reaction score
I made this batch this evening. I thought that I had finally gotten all the kinks worked out...and then this...

There is liquid floating on top of my soap....WTH? I've never had this happen before.

I soaped at 120. OO, CO, PO and Fruit Loops FO. I warmed my mold on a heating pad. I added just a tad bit of water to each mica to get it mixed up before I poured the batter in. Everything was going wonderful...until the end I notice liquid on the top of the soap...see video below-

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX50nACX-90"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX50nACX-90[/ame]

What did I do wrong now?

I can't help with what went wrong but I had that happen 3 times to me when I tried to gell a BB 9 bar mold with an electric blanket... I assumed I screwed up.. so I wait with you for an answer.

I'd guess that you poured at what you thought was thin trace, but was in fact NOT, and that your oils and lye solution weren't fully emulsified. Thus the oils and lye-water separated (partially) in the mold. The liquid is probably very caustic.

If this is the case, there is no saving it except by blending the whole shebang back together - thus no swirl...

It's been in the mold for about 1.5 hours now. The liquid seems to be getting absorbed back into the soap. Will this soap be usable? If all the liquid soaks back in? I'm thinking it won't....sniff, sniff...it was such a pretty swirl :(

Well, I check it this morning and it was NOT pretty. The FO was Fruity Rings...and that is what the top of the soap looked like. Frosty white, even the fruit loop texture...

IMAG0020.jpg

Smelled great. It was crumbly on the edges and spongey on the inside...YUCK! So in the trash it went :(

Oh such a beautiful swirl! I just had this happen to me 2 days ago. It's not zapping though. But a couple of air pockets still had oil, and I have rising in a couple of spots. Weird. But I did use yarrow infused tea, so maybe I used too much. It was so pretty and had such a great scent.

Must be the time of year for it. I just soaped mango papaya yesterday and had the same thing happen. I'm hoping it gets absorbed cause not only is it a great scent but had awesome swirls too!! The problem is that I need my mold as I've been soaping like crazy for 3 upcoming shows! One way to learn patience I guess.....

The funny thing is it only happens on the very pretty soaps, or the really nice scented ones. The soaps that didn't quite look the color or scent you wanted turn out just fine. What's up with that?

Cornstarch

This is a little off topic but while reading another websites description of their soaps I noticed cornstarch was listed as one of their ingredients in almost every soap. What's the purpose of the cornstarch? Wouldn't it be a little drying to the skin? Just curious. I have use just a little in one of my body butters, but not in the soapbars.

ive never had the oils float on top but have had a puddle leak out of my wooden molds. ive zap tested and never had a zap. my soaps were fine when i cut.

i could never figure out what was happening. seems kind of random. the 1st time i thought it was b/c the soap got to hot during while insulated but then i had a batch do it the other night that i didnt insulate and it was a bit cooler in the house.. ? im pretty sure mine was not a false trace thing and the pool of oil was no where near what ive seen in pics of soaps that had floating oil.

any clues.

pretty swirls on the post. :)

Just for posterity, what lye discount (superfat) % did you use please?

To answer the cornstarch question. It's probably included as an attempt to anchor fragrance.

Bubbles, here's my recipe-

OO- 10oz
CO- 6oz
PO- 4oz
Water- 5.8oz
Lye- 2.9oz
Fragrance- Fruity Rings- 1oz

Superfat 5%

I saved it from the trash, many said to hold onto it and see what it does. It's still very spongey and crumbly on the edges. I'm keeping just to see what it does, I really DON'T think that it will be usable.

Back