Life Buoy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I would love to make a soap that smells like good old Life Buoy.

According to the Wiki article, the key ingredient is/was carbolic acid or phenol but it seems to be absurdly expensive these days and I am wondering if anyone knows any other fragrance that smells like Life Buoy.

Cole Parmer offers it for hundreds of $ for a few oz.

As an aside, I made a bar with a bit of Dr Sloans in it and it is very interesting but not anything like Life Buoy.

Jack

You could experiment with essential and fragrance oils. I accidentally created bastille bars that smell like ivory soap by combining different citrus oils.

What about a pine tar soap? Not exactly the same, but similar scent.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f24/rosin-soap-31059/#post292919

Unfortunately, I no longer have any recollection of what Life Buoy smelled like; just the memory that I liked it.

I do know what pine tar smells like and it brings up no fond memories.

I gathered some pieces of pine rosin that oozes out of wookpecker holes on some pine trees this spring. I melted and strained it and poured it into wooden molds for use on my violin. It's a beautiful clear and dark amber with a wonderful pine smell totally unlike pine tar.

I am thinking of trying some of this just for the fragrance.

Jack

Phenols
  • The phenols found in essential oils normally have a carbon side chain and here we can look at compounds such as thymol, eugenol and carvacrol. These components have great antiseptic, anti-bacterial and disinfectant qualities and also have greatly stimulating therapeutic properties.
  • Due to the nature of phenols, essential oils that are high in them should be used in low concentrations and for short periods of time, since they can lead to toxicity if used over long periods of time, as the liver will be required to work harder to excrete them.
  • Phenols are also classified as skin and mucus membrane irritants and although they have great antiseptic qualities, like cinnamon and clove oil, they can cause severe skin reactions.
http://www.essentialoils.co.za/components.htm

Oregano oil and tea tree oil have a high amount of phenols, but oregano oil can be very irritating.

Latest posts

Back