Less moisturising soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, me again (so much to learn, so little time :)!)

I thought it best to post this question separately.

My partner, and some of his male friends, have said that they don't like their skin to feel soft and smooth after using soap. My partner has tried one of my trial soaps using mostly coconut oil with 20% SF, only a couple of weeks after curing, and said that it did leave his skin, mostly his hands, feeling too smooth. He said he likes to use savon de Marseille. Except for my face, it did leave my skin feeling smooth and moisturised, too.

How can I achieve a soap that cleanses deeply like savon de Marseille but doesn't leave skin too soft and smooth? (or am I asking to achieve the impossible?)

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

If your partner likes savon de Marseille, maybe try a high olive oil soap (One to try is 80% olive 10% coconut 5% avocado oil (or sweet almond oil) and 5% castor). Add a small amount of sea salt dissolved in the water before you add the lye, and make it with a very low (1% to 2% SF) superfat.

This soap makes a mild, but deeply cleansing bar.
Cure for a few months for the best result.

An additive style you can try with this are beeswax (tiny amount) and honey (add to the cooled lye - it will heat up again, so be careful) - this makes the soap smell quite nice, without any added scents, and the honey boosts the bubbles.

Latest posts

Back