Lemongrass Coconut Conditioner Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathrynmara08

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just tried Humblebees amazing recipe for Cranberry Orange conditioner bars and it's pretty amazing. I want to recreate this using different essential oils, and replace the cranberry seed oil with coconut oil, and the orange with lemongrass. Does anyone think this will work? Here is the original recipe I'm using: Cranberry Orange Conditioner Bar - Humblebee & Me

Any thoughts super appreciated!

I was reading on her cranberry seed oil spray recipe - that she recommends a light, liquid oil with a good fragrance to sub the cranberry seed oil with. She recommended plum, in that recipe.
The conditioner bar recipe looks great, but I've not had expected results any time I've replaced a soft oil with a hard oil. Unless I'm wanting a harder characteristic to what I'm making.
If I were to make that recipe, I might sub first with apricot kernel oil or sweet almond or even a canola to test. Then depending on what the results were, maybe then try coconut.
I hope you write an update!
These are just my opinions, I wish for you success!

I think you're asking to replace an oil with an essential oil in this recipe?
No, that would not work from what I know. My "rule" is to replace like with like when doing an experiment. An essential oil has completely different attributes than a soft oil as far as I know.

I speak humbly, cause I learn something new all the time lol

I think replacing the orange essential oil with lemongrass should work just fine.

No, you could not replace Cranberry oil with an essential oil, cranberry oil is a carrier oil, not an essential oil. Also, you can replace it with coconut oil, but I would advise replacing Cranberry oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil, not regular Coconut oil because FCO is a much lighter dryer oil similar in feel to Cranberry oil and will not weigh down your hair like CO will do. Since I have not worked with many of the oils in a few years I do not remember the dryer oil, non-greasy oils, and all my notes are packed away. You can do some research. But you essentially want non-greasy, heavy oils for hair conditioners.

No, you could not replace Cranberry oil with an essential oil, cranberry oil is a carrier oil, not an essential oil. Also, you can replace it with coconut oil, but I would advise replacing Cranberry oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil, not regular Coconut oil because FCO is a much lighter dryer oil similar in feel to Cranberry oil and will not weigh down your hair like CO will do. Since I have not worked with many of the oils in a few years I do not remember the dryer oil, non-greasy oils, and all my notes are packed away. You can do some research. But you essentially want non-greasy, heavy oils for hair conditioners.
I’m confused. If fractionated coconut oil is a “lighter dryer oil similar in feel to cranberry oil,” isn’t FCO what you would want to substitute? Did you mean to say don’t use regular coconut oil as a substitute for cranberry oil?

I’m confused. If fractionated coconut oil is a “lighter dryer oil similar in feel to cranberry oil,” isn’t FCO what you would want to substitute? Did you mean to say don’t use regular coconut oil as a substitute for cranberry oil?
That's what I understand her post to be saying - use FCO as a cranberry oil substitute, not regular CO. :)

Thanks everyone for all this help! I am going to experiment with the FCO as a sub for cranberry. Cranberry oil is just so **** expensive, and I'm trying to sell these guys, so was looking for a more sustainable option. I do LOVE cranberry oil, though.

Latest posts

Back