Leaves skin feeling sticky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 59805

Reaction score
Hi all,
I made my first batch of cold process soap about 6 weeks ago. I followed the recipe to a tee. It came out perfectly but the soap leaves my skin feeling sticky until I dry off. I've noticed this with some other homemade soaps that I've used in the past. Is this common with homemade soaps or is there something I can do to prevent that?

Sticky. If I'm washing my hands...when I'm rinsing, as the lather gets washed away, my hands won't smoothly slide against each other. But as soon as they are dry, there is no stickiness. Does that make sense? Lol. Here is the recipe I used. And thank you for responding.
  • 8 oz. Coconut Oil (24%)
  • 15 oz. Olive Oil (44%)
  • 11 oz. Palm Oil (32%)
  • 4.8 oz. Lye
  • 11.2 oz. Distilled Water

I think what you are describing is the same as what my husband and son describe as 'not rinsing off properly'. Most handmade soaps tend to leave a small residue of oils on the skin (known as superfatting) which serve to soften or 'moisturize' the skin. If this is what's happening that that is normal.
Did you recipe just give the amounts above? Or did it say what the lye concentration was?

Latest posts

Back