lavender and ginger

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
greetings
I make basic soap for myself and friends
I keep it simple
Here is my soap making recipe
20oz coconut oil 1.25
20oz olive oil 1.25
18oz goat's milk 1.13
7.0 oz lye
13oz lard
I only use one fragrance at a time (I use a fragrance calculator) but I would like to try to go out on a limb and combine lavender with ginger
However how much lavender and how much ginger should I use for a good strong soap
Also I am using Aura Cacia Pure Essential Oil Lavender. I have yet to purchase the ginger
Thank you for your relpy

You really should purchase your EO's from a reputable supplier such as Camden Grey, they have a lovely Lavender 40/42 for 32.99 per lb. It is the one I use and it sticks well in soap and is very popular in my lotions. My other favorite supplier is Liberty Naturals, they have quality eo's at decent prices. Those little bottles of EO's are way out of site in price for soaping. At the rate I fragrance I would use a min of 3.6 oz EO, such as lavender. I like using 3:1 ratio Lavender/Ginger but have gone. For your recipe I would use 3.6 oz Lavender and 1.4 oz Ginger. The 1.4 oz Ginger is according to Bramble Calculator for the strong setting which is approx 4% of your oils. You have to be careful with ginger since it can be irritating , it also accelerates and heats up in soap cp soap

Edited to correct spelling errors

Last edited:
I agree with Carolyn. You are spending way too much to fragrance your soap. You could save so much using a reputable supplier. Just think how much more soap you could make. Ha ha

Also, when it comes to ginger essential oil, you want to get CO2 distilled (extracted), not steam distilled. Steam distilled smells like old socks on a wet dog. Your price goes up a bit, but you'll use less of it because it's a "warm" oil.

In addition I am finding that Camden Grey 'customer service' is terrible!!
I will NOT deal with them again if and when I get the order I placed!

Last edited:
You really should purchase your EO's from a reputable supplier such as Candem Grey, they ave a lovely Lavender 40/42 for 32.99 per lb. It is the one I use and it sticks well in soap and is very popular in my lotions. My other favorite supplier is Liberty Naturals, they have quality eo's at decent prices. Those little bottles of EO's are way out of site in price for soaping. At the rate I fragrance I would use a min of 3.6 oz EO, such as lavender. I like using 3:1 ratio Lavender/Ginger but have gone. For your recipe I would use 3.6 oz Lavender and 1.4 oz Ginger. The 1.4 oz Ginger is according to Bramble Calculator for the strong setting which is approx 4% of your oils. You have to be careful with ginger since it can be irritating , it also accelerates and heats up in soap cp soap

How did you get the 3.6 Lavender and the 1.4 Ginger I just cannot find the right calculator to plug in more than one essential oil
Thank You

As far as I know, there isn't a calculator that allows you to plug in more than one. So what you have to do is get the separate usage rate for each one. It's not a super exact science.

Keep in mind that BB's calculator is weight of oils + water, and some calculators are weight of oils alone.

Using BB's calculator:
32 ounces
Lavender (strong) 1.6 ounces
Ginger (strong) .96 ounces

Assuming I am making a 32 ounce batch, my combination would not be more than 1.6 ounces total. And that combination would include .96 oz or less of ginger. Me, I measure my EOs and FOs in volume. 1 oz = 6 teaspoons. So let's assume I want to use 3 parts lavender and 1 part ginger. 1.6 oz = 9.6 teaspoons. (Call it 9.5 teaspoons). 6 teaspoons lavender + 2 teaspoons ginger = 8 teaspoons. 7 teaspoons of lavender + 2.25 teaspoons ginger = 9.25 teaspoons.

A lot of folks here recommend measuring fragrance by weight, but I don't like the fact that it runs down the side of the bottle. I like to hold the teaspoon to the lip of the bottle - less waste.

Latest posts

Back