Lather Test

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
Vets,

What’s the minimum recommended cure time for initial lather testing?

Thx in adv.

Not a vet lol but...

I HP so my initial lather test is after I cook (assuming it's zap free). If it's great now then I'll be very happy after it cures. If it doesn't lather much or it takes forever I'll note it down and test it again after 2wks (coz I'm impatient) and then after a full cure.

I've seen lather tests at 1 then 2, then 4 and 6 months I think? Or 1, 3 then 6?

If I'm curious to learn how a particular recipe lathers, I'll start testing a sample a few days after the soap is made and then follow up every week or so. After a month or two, I'll check it more like every month or so. It's fun to do and enlightening.

edit: I've got a sliver of salt bar in the shower right now that's a couple-three weeks old. It's in test mode only -- I'm using it on my hands and forearms to test the lather and also track how harsh this high-coconut soap is on my skin. So far it's definitely too drying for prime-time full-body use.

Last edited:
^^^ if you still feel your salt bar is still drying after a 6 month or so cure time just put them aside for a year and a half or so. I am using my Salty Dragon that I remember did not really lather well in the beginning, poured in May 2017, and was slightly drying. We are using them now and they are fantastic, not drying with a thick thick lucious lather. These were made with 100% salt and a 15% SF. I am at the point that I am just not going to take salt bars to market under 1 yr old.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about curing salt bars, Carolyn. I'm no expert on them -- this is only my 2nd batch and the first was a few years ago -- so I appreciate the advice. In all the threads I've read about this type of recipe, you salt bar makers are real clear that an extra-long cure is important, so I'm not frustrated about it, just curious how it changes over time. I probably will set the soap aside and forget about it -- but I have a firm date with this soap in about 6 months to see if it's changing its tune. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about curing salt bars, Carolyn. I'm no expert on them -- this is only my 2nd batch and the first was a few years ago -- so I appreciate the advice. In all the threads I've read about this type of recipe, you salt bar makers are real clear that an extra-long cure is important, so I'm not frustrated about it, just curious how it changes over time. I probably will set the soap aside and forget about it -- but I have a firm date with this soap in about 6 months to see if it's changing its tune. :)
I always test mine periodically and am amazed how they change, I remember once I was going to toss a batch and just could not do it they turned out wonderful after a good long cure. I have one salt bar left from a batch that is over 5 yrs old and I really cherish that bar :)

I usually wait at least 2 weeks before using. but then again I take it in the shower so it isn't like a light hand wash ;)

For my normal (not salt) soap, I could shower with them at 2 weeks just fine. I normally don't because I always have well-cured soap on hand and I'd rather use that. But in a pinch, sure, I'd use a 2 week bar, no problem. (I won't give young soap away nor sell it, just to be clear.)

Ug, I made a test batch yesterday in little sink size bar mold. Didn't gell, I tried :(
I unmolded today which I was a bit surprised...... now I wanna try it out to see if I like it.

Some times I really hate CP and being impatient lol

yup, tested it and it already has good lather ! Just one arm ;) so don't panic. I usually wait 2 weeks, but this was a Coconut milk one. Worked good

Last edited:
Back