Lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggstravagant

Reaction score
Hello. My crisco soap recipe:

1 pound crisco
2.2oz lye
5.4oz water

Soap has been curing for 10 days now. Was told to test it as sometimes they can cure in that time. The soap is unscented and does lather uo as u can see in the pic. However, when hand washing only it begins to feel a little greasy but lathers. Doea not feel greasy before or after use. Just while washing hands...is thia normal?

Attachments

• 20230126_165927.jpg
    20230126_165927.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 0
The recipe looks right. Soap can cure in that time but that doesn't mean it will for sure. The greasy feel is most likely just because it needs a bit more cure time. Remember, some bars can take as long as a year to cure, depending on what type of oil you use. Leave it for a few more weeks and try again.

I ran your recipe through SoapCalc and it looks like you have no superfat. You probably won't have any bubbly lather and your soap may not become really hard. Substituting 25% coconut oil for some of the Crisco will give you a harder bar with more bubbly lather. I would also superfat at 5%. Always run a recipe through a lye calculator such as Soap Making Friend or SoapCalc before making.:)

I, on the other hand, would use 1-2% superfat if you really want to use 100% Crisco and give it a much longer cure such as a 4-month minimum The superfat suggestion is just to offset any measuring errors in my opinion, and will interfere with lather. All soap will eventually lather but some not very well, and coconut oil will definitely add bubbles and lather to your soap but too much will cause it to become harsh and stripping. As an example, I love my 100% Almond soap with a 1% superfat but it takes a min of a 6-month cure to begin to lather and a full year to give a really nice lather.

The recipe looks right. Soap can cure in that time but that doesn't mean it will for sure. The greasy feel is most likely just because it needs a bit more cure time. Remember, some bars can take as long as a year to cure, depending on what type of oil you use. Leave it for a few more weeks and try again.
Thank u

First off, crisco isn't lard so what did you actaully use?
Hand-made soap can be slickerer than commercial soap. If it was oily, you would have residue on your hands.

10 days is too young to start testing, let ir cure 4-6 weeks before testing
Thank u

I, on the other hand, would use 1-2% superfat if you really want to use 100% Crisco and give it a much longer cure such as a 4-month minimum The superfat suggestion is just to offset any measuring errors in my opinion, and will interfere with lather. All soap will eventually lather but some not very well, and coconut oil will definitely add bubbles and lather to your soap but too much will cause it to become harsh and stripping. As an example, I love my 100% Almond soap with a 1% superfat but it takes a min of a 6-month cure to begin to lather and a full year to give a really nice lather.
Thank u

Back