Large Cracks In Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made a BlackRaspberry Vanilla soap and took a look at it this mooring and there are large cracks when you look at the top of the soap which is still in the mold. Here are my ingredients,
2 lbs 12 oz of my master batch
15 oz. Water
6.2 oz. Lye
2 oz. Black Raspberry vanilla Fragrance Oil
Three color additives.
Everything seemed to be going well up to the point i poured into the mold so not sure why this would have happened?

a picture would help, but i'm guessing it got overheated.

did you use any other additives that contain sugar? the fo could be a heater, or your recipe.

Here is picture. The overheating makes sense as I have read about certain soaps that tend to do that and you actually supposed to put in a fridge or freezer overnight.

IMG_0014.jpg

It looks like it overheated. If you add any sugar or milks to your batch it can cause it to overheat. You may have insulated it to heavily as well. I generally just put the cover on my mold and let it go. I don't usually have to add any other insulation, especially in my wood molds. I'll also check on it once in awhile and as soon as it looks like it's gelling I will shift the cover a bit to let the heat escape. I rarely have it happen now. As it cools they may come together some.

There is a video on youtube on how to fix cracks. Basically, as the soap went thru gel, spritz some alcohol, and with a gloved hand, gently rub on top of the cracks to fix it. I think it was Bonnie who did it, her youtube name is EdentiaFarms

It is a trick to learn to avoid over heating but not ending up with partial gel; especially if you go between wood and silicone molds. But you'll definitely get a feel for it very quickly.

Latest posts

Back