Large Bath Bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillisa3479

Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone know how to make large bombs and who sells the large bomb molds? Also, why do some recipes recommend corn starch? What is the purpose and is it safe?
Thanks!

I've heard that corn starch makes the bombs float, though I haven't tried it yet. Some people say that corn starch in a bath product contributes to yeast issues for women, but I can't really comment on that. I don't know.

Thank you. Do you know how to make large ones? Also, how do you put a stamp on them? like a flower or a star? is there a mold with a stamp indented on it?
Thanks!

You make large ones the same way you make small ones - just use a larger mold. Just make sure you choose a day (or working space) that's not too hot or too humid otherwise your bombs may not 'stick' - they would crumble.

Though I've never tried, given the fragile nature of the bath bombs, I imagine that if you try to stamp a bath bomb, it would crumble. Anything seen on the surface would have been in the mold itself. (I think...)

I wonder if a wooden bath bomb mold would work. I am trying to imprint a flower on my bomb..maybe I can wittle the design into a wooden mold. Do you think this would work?

this is a BIG maybe but might be worth a try...

i use the empty christmas ornament things, they are a round ball put together or you can make smaller bath bombs by using only half. maybe you could get some of those stamps that are clear and come on a plastic sheet and put one in the end of the mold and then MAYBE when you unmold, the pic will stay...

i really have no idea if it will work but it might be worth a try. :D

Lillisa3479 said:
I wonder if a wooden bath bomb mold would work. I am trying to imprint a flower on my bomb..maybe I can wittle the design into a wooden mold. Do you think this would work?
You need something that won't stick. I don't think a wooden mold would work for this purpose.

Lillisa3479 said:

I don't know if you're interested in a silk flower, but I just bought some from a craft store and put two of them in some bath bombs that I just made.
They actually look quite pretty, and the small silk flower just floats around in the tub until you fish it out.

Lillisa3479 said:
Hey,
Does anyone know how to make large bombs and who sells the large bomb molds? Also, why do some recipes recommend corn starch? What is the purpose and is it safe?
Thanks!

I've heard that you can use the clear plastic ornaments from craft stores to form bombs but FOs will cause the plastic to pit after awhile. I've read that the 80mm size is the same size as Lush's bombs but I don't know if this is true.

I've heard the same thing that SudsyKat said - cornstarch makes bombs float. However, I keep hearing contradictory info about the connection between cornstarch and yeast. Some people say it causes yeast infections (or at least makes them worse) and other people say it doesn't cause yeast infections. I don't know which is the truth but I did read on webmd.com that bacteria can grow in moistened cornstarch so they don't recommend it to be used on diaper rash. This made me wonder if bacteria would grow in a bath bomb if the humidity was high enough and the bath bomb absorbed moisture from the air. I also wondered if people with corn allergies would be more sensitive to products containing cornstarch. You don't have to add cornstarch to bombs. If you're concerned, just leave it out of the recipe.

Val -

You have such creative ideas. I like the idea of using silk flowers.

krissy -

I like your idea, too. That would be interesting to try.

Back