Sunflower Lecithin in Bath Bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't tried sunflower lecithin in bath bombs. But now I want to try it. Have also read that Borax can be used as an emulsifier as well. Am going to try both. Have you made either one?

Haven't tried sunflower lecithin in bath bombs. But now I want to try it. Have also read that Borax can be used as an emulsifier as well. Am going to try both. Have you made either one?
hi i have been experimenting with sunflower lecithin , im using 1 gram to 1 kilo of bath bomb mixture , its not much but the lecithin is very thick.
Im using 5grams of essential oil per kilo, and always Check that its ok through the EO calculator,
im finding the oils are not sitting on top of the water , im happy with the results, only think i dont like is teeny tiny brown spots, prob gotta spend more time mixing as im new to bath bomb making.
havent heard about borax but you have peaked my interest now........off to google

hi i have been experimenting with sunflower lecithin , im using 1 gram to 1 kilo of bath bomb mixture , its not much but the lecithin is very thick.
Im using 5grams of essential oil per kilo, and always Check that its ok through the EO calculator,
im finding the oils are not sitting on top of the water , im happy with the results, only think i dont like is teeny tiny brown spots, prob gotta spend more time mixing as im new to bath bomb making.
havent heard about borax but you have peaked my interest now........off to google
Updated June 16 2023. Am removing the link to borax in bath bombs. Thank you @justjacqui for posting the dangers of borax.

Wonder if the sunflower lecithin needs to be warmed and mixed with the oils maybe?

Last edited:
Borax is not an emulsifier by itself but can be used to create an emulsifier when combined with other ingredients such as beeswax.

Why would you want to use borax in anything related to personal care? In Australia and Europe the safety data sheet for borax contains a warning that it is a reproductive toxin and may damage fertility or the unborn child. (https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/AU/en/sds/sial/b3545) :oops: That is not something I want to soak in.

Borax is not an emulsifier by itself but can be used to create an emulsifier when combined with other ingredients such as beeswax.

Why would you want to use borax in anything related to personal care? In Australia and Europe the safety data sheet for borax contains a warning that it is a reproductive toxin and may damage fertility or the unborn child. (https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/AU/en/sds/sial/b3545) :oops: That is not something I want to soak in.
Thank you for the info, will not be trying borax, happy with sunflower lecithin

Thank you @justjacqui I removed the link and added a note. Am always learning and appreciate your input.

Thank you for the info, will not be trying borax, happy with sunflower lecithin
My apologies for posting such an awful recipe. In my zeal to add natural ingredients I should have known that this one while naturally sourced is not healthy for use in body products.

Hi,
does anyone use sunflower lecithin in their bath bombs as a natural emulsifier?
how much do i use per kilo?

Have you tried using turkey red castor oil? Castor oil helps fix the scent of the essential oils in my soaps, and other products, thank you again @Zany_in_CO :) although I'm not sure if the sulfated version of castor oil will work well for your purpose. Might be worth trying. Castor oil is also very nice on the skin in small amounts when used in personal care products.

If it was my bath bomb batch, I would mix my essential oils with any carrier oil/s I was using & then mix in a little bit of turkey red castor oil, let that sit overnight in a covered glass vessel of some type, add it to my bath bomb mix the next day.

I also use turkey red castor oil instead of polysorbate 80 as I have concerns with the safety of using polysorbates in any products. It works beautifully to prevent slippery tubs due to any carrier oils which might be in a bath bomb formulation. Totally looks after that issue. I just made a batch of bath bombs a couple of weeks ago with my granddaughter, then used one in the bath a couple of days later. No slipping or sliding at all afterwards.

For informational purposes >>

Polysorbate 80: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12616296/ (NTP Toxicology and Carcinogenesis Studies of Polysorbate 80)

Turkey red castor oil (sulfated castor oil): nothing I could find which indicates it is toxic to humans or other living things, although I am happy to read any information anyone else may have about this specific ingredient.

Thank you , I’m loving the sunflower lecithin and want to try your method of mixing the night before, also I’ll see if I can find the turkey red castor oil as I’ve never heard of it before and will give that a go too.
Thank you for taking the time to reply

Thank you , I’m loving the sunflower lecithin and want to try your method of mixing the night before, also I’ll see if I can find the turkey red castor oil as I’ve never heard of it before and will give that a go too.

No worries, you're welcome, and good luck with your bath bombs :) Sunflower lecithin is a beautiful thing. I finally got my hands on the liquid type on my recent trip & am loving it. It's a better option than soy lecithin for many reasons, and very good for the skin. It can be used in many products. You can also buy the powdered type. Experiment with both & decide which best fits your desired results. Both can be used in nutritious smoothies too, as well as other foods.

Turkey red castor oil is awesome stuff, and it really is red....actually, kinda dark orange. I buy it by the gallon. Many soap making supply sellers have it available.

I don't think it's available in Australia.

Latest posts

Back