Lard!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desclaimer: The tutorials are just a collection of other peoples recipes and techniques. They are there because people wanted to share their experiences with SMF. Recipes and techniques were not created by SMF owners/ mods/admin, nor have they been tested by SMF owners/mods/admin.

Re: Link for preservatives

Lillisa3479 said:
http://www.smftutorials.com/faq.html#What_types_of_preservatives_should_I_use

This is the link where I read you have to put a preservative in your batch so bacteria won't form. I'm really confused as I am new to soaping. I hope someone can figure this out. I was under the impression we didnt put preservatives!

This does not say you need preservatives in soap. It does say that preservatives are needed in any COSMETIC product that contains water. Preservatives control the growth of molds, fungus, and bacteria. Soap is not a cosmetic. For soap, the tutorial discusses anti-oxidants such as ROE or Vitamin E. Anti-oxidants are not preservatives. They help extend the shelf life of an oil, slowing down the degredation that results in rancidity.

HTH

It is a little confusing, it's directly under questions about exfoliating and essential oils in soap. If I was a newbie looking for information I'd think it was telling me to use a preservative in my soap.
What types of preservatives should I use?
If water is present in a formulation, or if the product is exposed to water, bacterial growth is imminent. It is important to protect such products from the possibility of bacterial growth since this will ruin the product (and make customers very angry at having wasted their money). A bactericidal preservative should be used in order to inhibit the growth of bacteria in your products. These agents will act to create an environment in which bacteria cannot grow.

Making soap with Lard

Ahhh Lard, nectar of the Soap Gods...':wink:'

I don’t want to risk beating this thread to death but I just want to say that I love making soap with lard, not a whole lot but 30 to 50 % anyway. When I think of Lard I think of White soap and I love White soap. (my Mom, a Minnesota farm girl made soap from Lard)…. I Loved it!!!

When discussing this in another thread IanT was good enough to offer a link which really gives a great breakdown on the properties that hard oils make in soap…ie…like Lard. It’s http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm
Ok..ok..I’ll go away now…':lol:'

Jerry S

Glad I found this topic. I have lard in my cupboard right now, we use it for everything down here. ((I live in the deep south, land of deep fried everything)). I was considering using lard in my next batch.

I have no problems with it, I spent my childhood doing farm work with my grandmother. She butchered her own animals so I don't even flinch at this point, I was desensitized to the food chain at a fairly young age.

Though I do have to say rendering down your own lard smells like serious raunchy butt. <------- Those are the nicest adjectives I can think of to describe the odor.

I remember spending hours above the huge vat of fat, and yes we did it outside because trust me you don't want to do it in your house. I had the job of stirring and scooping out the crisp cracklins. For those that don't know cracklins are the bits of skin that are attached to the fat that goes in the pot. As the fat melts the skin fries up super crispy (think pork rinds), we always used to use them in cornbread, which I might add is quite tasty. The final rendered lard is actually quite nice and doesn't stink as you cook the nasty junk that causes the smell out.

These days I'm just happy to buy the lard, I could die happy never tending another rendering pot that's for sure.

Thanks for the ideas on usage!

I don't use lard because of the smell when cooking the soap is unpleasant. Also, it doesn't have much label appeal. Most of my customers want all vegetable soaps.

I made my first lard batch today. I found it very slow to trace, which is fine. The batch is also my first experiment with alkanet root. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

People would be amazed if they really knew the ingredients in a lot of things. Not to mention what the FDA rules are regarding how many bug parts can be in a candy bar :cry:

Hope all of you have had dinner!!

Jacki

JackiK said:
I made my first lard batch today. I found it very slow to trace, which is fine. The batch is also my first experiment with alkanet root. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

People would be amazed if they really knew the ingredients in a lot of things. Not to mention what the FDA rules are regarding how many bug parts can be in a candy bar :cry:

Hope all of you have had dinner!!

Jacki

Yay for your first lard batch!! I made a HP batch today with my basic recipe, using lard instead of palm for the first time (have used lard before though). Much slower trace. Let us know how you like it!

I'm going to forget I saw the bug thing. *covers eyes* lalalalalalala

Newbie help with lard soap

Hi i would like to make a batch of lard soap, can anyone help with goods oils to add, I will run it through the soapcalc. Also how much of a superfat/discount should i do, n should i add oils at the end of cook to supperfat. Iam a newbie to soapmaking only made 2 batches oh HP soap n seem to be on a very big learning curve lol. Appreciate any help :)

Re: Newbie help with lard soap

debbs said:
Hi i would like to make a batch of lard soap, can anyone help with goods oils to add, I will run it through the soapcalc. Also how much of a superfat/discount should i do, n should i add oils at the end of cook to supperfat. Iam a newbie to soapmaking only made 2 batches oh HP soap n seem to be on a very big learning curve lol. Appreciate any help :)

you can add any other oils you want. if you want more bubbles add coconut and/or castor. :D

Lillisa3479 said:
Why would someone use Lard in making soap? Isn't this animal fat? Is Lard also what is called Tallow or Tallowate? Is the "Vegan" soap the one that is free of any animal fats? What would be the benefit of using lard?
Thanks all!
Lisa
My grandma used lard soap for 90 years.when she died at 91 she looked about 60 and she said it was the lard soap.

For the squeamish vegans and vegetarians.

If you use Palm Oil to replace the lard in your soap.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use certified sustainable Palm Oil.

Yes, its in every second product as the food industry just label it vegetable oil, but we should be aware of the devastation that the Palm Oil industry has on the environment in places like Borneo and Sumatra.

If you are using uncertified, unsustainable Palm Oil in your soap, you might as well wear leather, eat some bacon or eat a cage egg chicken omelette.

/ little rant.

I could go on about the conditions in which other ingredients we use are extracted, but thats for another thread another time.

Latest posts

Back