Lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first time here so hi! I just made a batch of lard only soap and it's setting up now, but I'm concerned. It turned white and firmed fairly quickly but now the center is getting softer and darker which I guess is the term gel...but should it have turned white and firm and then gelled?
I've never made soap so this is a completely new experience. I've tried searching but what I find isn't exactly what's happening. It's only been about 2 hours since they soap went into the molds.

Yes, what you're seeing is gel. It should gel and then as it cools off become hard. The heat from the reaction of the lye and oils is starting the saponification process which generally takes 18-24 hours or so. I say generally because I had a batch which got extremely hot and gelled in just a few hours. (Not good because the top wrinkled up and split - looked nasty.) I've also had other batches which took longer because the batch didn't get hot enough to thoroughly gel and took several days to saponify. Just cover it up and leave it until tomorrow when it should be white and firm.

Okay, then it wasn't firm - more like a thick pudding texture? If so, this is normal. It sounds fine.

eta: Don't be paranoid. False trace or separation can be fixed. :D

I agree with Hazel- things sound fine and are progressing right on schedule. No need to worry. Once it has come out of gel and sets back up, it'll return to being nice and white (provided you didn't use a discoloring fragrance oil in it, that is).

IrishLass :)

Well it turned out fine I think. Removing from the molds was tricky and I lost a bit in the corners. It's been sliced and is setting up to cure and hopefully harden up. I know it's going to be softer than most but squeeze to hard and you'll leave dents.
I really enjoyed the whole process and I've taken notes on everything. Next time I'm going to try adding emu and jojoba oil in.
Thanks for your help.

Congratulations! :D

What kind of mold did you use? I used to lose the corners on some of my loaves when I used a rectangular silicone mold. But most of my batches tend to be softer because I don't like to use too high a percent of coconut.

Back