Lard, Olive Oil Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackofhearts

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a soap using just olive oil and lard? I made a 100% Lard soap and I really liked it! The other day I made a 95% Lard/5% Castor Oil to see how it would affect the lather.
This got me thinking, What would happen if I made a soap using just olive oil and Lard? I'm still debating the percentages but I think it might make a good, conditioning bar that isn't too drying. (I've very dry skin)

Any thoughts?
Are there any other 2 oil blends that you like and think a newbie might have fun playing around with?

Thanks!
Jack

It should be a nice bar. You get the stable lather from the lard, with the conditioning of the olive.

I've done palm (the vegetable world's answer to lard) and olive, and it's a nice bar. I dropped in ten percent coconut to improve the bubbliness, but that's optional.

Other two oil soaps:

Coconut/Palm (or lard or tallow or...): Cuts grease like nobody's business if you use a high percentage of coconut and a low superfat

Lard and some Castor: All the advantages of lard, plus bubbles.

Olive/Anything: Olive plays very well with other oils, while the other oil tends to cut the sliminess of the olive. Personally? Olive and soybean wax, olive and coconut, or olive and palm would be great.

The only thing I'd try to do is match two oils that have differing characteristics so you end up with a combination of traits in the final soap. Combining olive and, say, soy or canola wouldn't result in a significantly different bar than olive alone.

Yes, I made this not too long ago. I've only used it a few times but so far I really like, very gentle. Another favorite is 80% lard, 20% coconut.

I think it would be an awesome. Both have dense lather, lard lathers more easily in the hand. I think you should make it. I never use castor, can't see the point, it made no noticable difference to my bars anyway.

Latest posts

Back