Lard for Sensitive Skin Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Shelby. I make sensitive skin bars for my business.

However, recently, I came across a problem with my beef tallow batch and won't be able to get more until next month. Now, as a resourceful soap maker, I do know we can substitute beef tallow for lard or vegetable shortening.

Have any of you used lard-based soaps for sensitive skin recipes and if so, does it work well? I want to make bars any of my customers can use.

IMO, lard is gentler than tallow. I use it in all my soaps, including those I make for sensitive skin.

Where do you buy Lard???

If you live in the US, you should be able to get it in most grocery stores. Armour band is the most common seen in stores like Walmart, Kroger etc... I can also get it at a couple Mexican grocery stores. I make a lot of soap so usually get mine from Soaper's Choice. Some Gordon's Foods carries it too.

Commercial lard containers are often marked with the Spanish word for lard -- "manteca" -- so if you can't find anything labeled lard then look for manteca. I think manteca can also be used as the name for a type of shortening with a blend of fats, so when in doubt read the ingredients list.

Commercial lard containers are often marked with the Spanish word for lard -- "manteca" -- so if you can't find anything labeled lard then look for manteca. I think manteca can also be used as the name for a type of shortening with a blend of fats, so when in doubt read the ingredients list.

Yes it does. But if its vegetable shorting it says “manteca vegetal”. Lard is “manteca de cerdo”.

@Alfa_Lazcares -- That's good to know -- thank you for clarifying. Unfortunately, the full Spanish name is not always given, at least in the US. Here's what you'll see on an Armour lard carton, for example --

9kFdA0m2UKTXwcfUckHWP1xL4LTS1bU87ikxON3fbYZqaVQy3FkfaMa069guniqXT-r82o7Vz98doCwp72iDygyeGvwTb4FXSc_95wq4J1xYDbVF7Eo38AU22K1P7B1NlP5-sluRqPg1tA_Ud7hBk7XBPHuwZgZsdJhLM5tOhkcsoj-cOoaprEOPibEZ_5A8LrPEz-Rfo1T9KROM7HA=s1000-pd-e365-pc0xffffff

Thanks, guys. c: I just want to make sure these soaps don't cause my customers any reactions.

Edit: I just attempted my first soap with lard. I'll have one of my testers test it out to see if it works with sensitive skin.

Last edited:
Back