Kiva Silicone Bag for Heating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the (hopefully!) brilliant idea to use one of these to melt my notoriously unmeltable SCI for syndet shampoo bars. As I type, I have a Kiva bag in boiling water with my ingredients.

Well, the SCI certainly melted more, but not completely. Perhaps if I'd left it in the boiling water longer it would have finished melting. I took the bag out of the water periodically and squashed the melting contents around in the bag.

The Kiva bag was easy to use and easy to clean. To remove the contents I turned it inside out and scraped it with a silicone spatula. Then I rinsed/washed and it's hanging to drip dry.

Two notes:
1. Use gloves when removing from boiling water and squashing the bag.

2. Keep the top sliding sealer from getting too hot. I did this by keeping the top out of the water. The top wants to lean over, so I placed a dry cloth along the edge of the pan and propped the top of the bag on the cloth. This kept it out of the boiling water and off the hot edge of the pan.

Attachments

• 20180606_142123.jpg
    20180606_142123.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180606_130734.jpg
    20180606_130734.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Quite interesting. I checked Amazon and found some for purchase, and even thought they seem pretty expensive, it might be worth trying them out. I put them into my cart so I can find them again, at least.

I wonder if a steamer (double boiler or Bain Marie) might be a way to ensure the top/closure doesn't get too hot.

Back