Kirkland's Olive oil causing color change?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharmon320

Reaction score
Good Morning. I have been experiencing a weird phenomenon the last few batches of soap. Just curious if it's the Kirkland's Olive Oil (which is new). When I add the lye water to the oils, the whole batch turns a rusty color for a few minutes. This is definitely new. Anyone else experience it?

My finished product doesn't look any different, but it is just during the initial mixing. Kinda freaked me out the first time it happened. I was previously using the Sam's club Olive Oil and never had the color change.

I have had my Kirkland bottle for awhile, but it doesn't turn a rust color when mixing. I noticed they had re-packed it into two 3 liter bottles since I bought last.

I've never had a color change with the Kirkland OO and that's all I use.

Could it be your utensil or something? Or are you using a new shipment of lye?

How weird. Like judymoody, Kirkland's is all I use and I have never experienced color changes with it.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe it's the lard? I have been using the same brand of lard, but it's a new container. It doesn't seem to affect my finished soap, so I don't guess I should worry about it.

thanks again!

I just switched to Kirkland in December and noticed no difference.

Hey guys. Is the Kirkland olive oil you guys use just olive oil or extra virgin?
The people in this thread have not been active in years (except for Irishlass), so they won't be responding. Others are kind of touchy about resurrecting "dead" threads. For the most responses, I recommend starting a new thread with your question about Kirkland olive oil. I have never used it, so I cannot help.

The people in this thread have not been active in years (except for Irishlass), so they won't be responding. Others are kind of touchy about resurrecting "dead" threads. For the most responses, I recommend starting a new thread with your question about Kirkland olive oil. I have never used it, so I cannot help.

I use Kirklands olive oil and have never had an issue with its performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back