Killing bacteria value of handmade natural soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbiz

Reaction score
I watch ads of Lifebouy that is about killing 99.9% of bacteria and wonder if our handmade soap can do it. I often read triclosan in INgredients of Lifebouy and also know it is a good anti bacteria material. Can we use it in making our soap?
I just to make sure I can answer customers if they pop up question: "Is your soap able to clean bacteria well?" :)

Thanks for viewing my post :)

Triclosan is what makes their soap SO effective at killing germs. But frankly it isn't necessary. Soap washes away germs.

While taking my CNA course in 1999, the instructor told us to wash our hands in just plain soap and water, singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy" to have washed long enough. Our books taught that the CDC (Center for Disease Control) required hands to be under running water and soap for 15 seconds to remove germs, bacteria, etc.

We have been really innundated with commercials that tout antibacterial soap/sprays/cleaners, etc in the last 7-8 yrs. It seems like forever, but it hasn't been. The sad thing is, all these antibacterial things are creating super bugs that are not being killed off. What I find funny are the commercials that shows pics of germs on different surfaces or in the air and being wiped/sprayed "clean". How long is that "clean" surface going to last without constant cleaning? There's germs everywhere!

You have good bacteria on your hands, yes the entire body actually, called Staph it protects you, yes you can get bad stuff from staph but for gods sakes don't automatically wash off all that good stuff that helps protect your skin, I refuse to use alcohol hand sanitizers for that reason they destroy all your good bacteria, plain soap and water are the best things to wash your hands with, oh and if you happen to ever get Clostridium Difficile, Soap and Water are the ONLY thing that kills that bacteria. Everyone has their own opinions regarding this but as a medical professional that is my personal opinion.

~Teri
edited because I suck at spelling.

My daughter contracted a C. Diff infection when she was in the hospital. The medicL professionals told us alcohol is not effective, but that bleach is. The spores are hard to kill though, and washing them away instead was our best protection.

Staph is common on the skin, I know. Sounds icky but its not And other bacteria as well such as corynebacterium. I think. It's been many years since I studied this kind of thing. Probably spelled it wrong too.

There have been studies comparing anti-bacterial "soap" to the soap we make. Search around a bit online and you should be able to find more information.

The soap we make is almost as effective at getting rid of the bacteria. Most of the cleaning isn't done by the soap, but by the friction created by doing the washing. You wouldn't want to kill all the bacteria anyway... can lead to other problems. New research also shows that being exposed to different bacterias, pollens, dirt, dust, crud, etc is good for children. Having an environment that is too clean led to higher incidents of allergies, among other conditions.

http://www.webmd.com/news/20051020/fda- ... erial-soap

This is an article i came across awhile ago when a customer asked me this very question. I found it very interesting and helpful. Apparently the FDA did a study on anti bacterial vs. regular soap and found them both to be effective.

Triclosan is something i have been reading more about because it's in everything (even toothpaste) and i find myself suspicious of it. It can stay alive and active on your skin for up to 12 hours and also is ending up in the environment (in our water systems) because there's really nothing that can kill it or filter it out. It will kill both good and bad bacteria. I personally don't use hand sanitizers as i feel it's overkill, I don't work in an environment where I am in contact with super germs etc. and some people are speculating that over sensitization may be the cause of all the new allergy problems people are beginning to have.

Like i said, i am only beginning to read about triclosan but i find things like this just fascinating.

carebear said:
My daughter contracted a C. Diff infection when she was in the hospital. The medicL professionals told us alcohol is not effective, but that bleach is. The spores are hard to kill though, and washing them away instead was our best protection.
Yes, bleach kills the spores but we usually don't ask people to wash with bleach since soap and water work also. But the rooms are completely cleaned with bleach water.

~Teri

When I was taking my Occupational First Aid as well as First Responder training they also told us to not use the hand sanitizers but rather sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star while washing our hands, under running water and making sure that we were rinsing well from the wrist down to the nails and to also wash under our finger nails too.

Since I started making cream soap I carry a small purse sized bottle around with me so I don't have to use the commercial stuff....

I found this thread really interesting.

I have a wee question also - I havn't done much research yet, as I've just started thinking about it...

But I have an aunty who has problems with skin infections, she can't find much to help her, the docs havnt come up with much of a solution. I was wondering if you could use Tea Tree oil as an additive to the soap (I know it has natural anitbacterial and antifungal properties), to give it an extra boost, but would it hold up against the lye? Or better used in a lotion?

I'm also thinking salt bars (which are the best on my face for combating acne!) must add some kind of extra antibacterial/healing action....so maybe a salt bar with Tea Tree??

Any thoughts? :D

You might also want to look into neem oil. It has great healing properties. I am not sure if it would be better in a lotion or a soap. It has a very strong scent, so just be aware, but i believe it can be used at low % and still be quite effective.

good luck :)
Erin

Most essential oils destroy germs (although in different concentrations).

Tea Tree may be good, but it would be better to find out what kind of germs you are fighting and research a combination of essential oils targeted against those specific germs.

It makes more sense not to mix health remedies with lye. Either do HP or re-process some soap with adding said ingredients.

New research also shows that being exposed to different bacterias, pollens, dirt, dust, crud, etc is good for children. Having an environment that is too clean led to higher incidents of allergies, among other conditions.
That research is extremely old. Like every thing, cleanliness should be consumed in moderation.

On the other hand, some things (not necessarily the skin) may get really dirty and could use some extra cleaning power.

IMHO, antibacterial claims were started to as a promotional scam to make some products look better & as a result boost sales.

It's like when you pick up a bottle of some odd condiment sitting on the shelf & the label says 'now fat-free' when it was fat free all along, or when every other similar condimant is also fat-free just by the naturae of the beast & not by special magic or lab specific engineering. You will be drawn to the one with the extra claim, even though it is no better or different than the ones to either side of it. That is the joy of marketing.

I also refuse to use any of those alcohol based hand gels, or the "anti-bacterial" bar soaps, OR the dish detergents. Anything with Triclosan is off limits.

This stuff is leaching into the environment with all sorts of negative results. Using it does more harm than good since eventually those germs we are trying to combat will be totally resistant and will require even more toxic chemicals to kill them... when they could have simply been washed away with regular old soap in the first place.

We use the "anti-bacterial" dish detergents. The hubby thinks they are best, so if the hubby is happy.... you know.

xyxoxy said:
I also refuse to use any of those alcohol based hand gels, or the "anti-bacterial" bar soaps, OR the dish detergents. Anything with Triclosan is off limits.

This stuff is leaching into the environment with all sorts of negative results. Using it does more harm than good since eventually those germs we are trying to combat will be totally resistant and will require even more toxic chemicals to kill them... when they could have simply been washed away with regular old soap in the first place.

couldn't have said it better myself :)

BusyMakinSoap - Neem oil is a really good option. You can also look into pine tar soaps. They are wonderful for people with psoriasis, eczema and other skin problems.

Latest posts

Back