Kaolin Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewepootoo

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap using Palm 50%,Coconut Oil 20%, Grapeseed 20%, Castor Oil 10% with 10% Superfat and 200 Grams of White Kaolin Clay to the one kg of Oils. I added an extra 80mls of water and probably a bit too much Rubine colour and the end result works really well all be it only a week old. It is not rock hard yet maybe because of the extra water.
I just wanted to see how the Clay affected it and you would not know it was there except it is a little bit creamier.
I will try even more Clay and see what it turns out like. Kaolin is free so the more I can get away with the better. Steve :D
ojxw.jpg

zbgz.jpg

They look good Steve. The most clay I've used is 2 tablespoons in 1kg of oils. I love those oblong Muffin Pans. They make a bar the perfect size for your hand.

Lovely soap. I love the colour just as it is.

Lucky you, getting Kaolin for free. We cannot get it here unless we buy such a huge amount that I would never live long enough to use even a fraction of it up.

be careful with how much clay you add to a batch. I say this from experience with one soap I once made. I added 3 Tbs. to a 2 pound batch and it completely crumbled when I cut it. I did not add extra water like you did but if you keep adding more clay you may experience the same thing that i did.

Your soap came out lovey BTW.

Hi Psalm 23, I bought that silicon mold in my local supermarket for $12, it is a muffin mold. It is a good size bar for my big hands. No sign of crumbling, the clay I used is under 2 micron particle size which may help I dont know. Steve :D
Ps, Thankyou all for your encouragement. :D

Update, I have made another batch using 500 grams of Beef Tallow, 200 grams of Coconut Oil, 200 grams Palm Oil and 100 grams of Castor oil. To this I added 200 grams of Kaolin, 580 grams of water and 141 grams of Lye and it turned out very well, just took a little bit longer to get hard enough to unmold as I may have added a whisker too much water. Another member here who took advantage of my offer of free clay tells me that her soap holds it's scent much better with Kaolin in it. I tried a batch with 300 grams added but the soap loses it's shiny look so 20% appears to be the ceiling for adding clay me thinks. Steve :D

I sometimes use kaolin as a fixative for eo's.Last time I poured them added the clay,got distracted and an hr later the clay had turned to ....clay! Like plastacine.So a warning to everyone,only add it to yr eo's just before use :wink:

Hi Whisks, I have a large quantity that I am happy to share with other forum members and all I ask is that I be refunded the postage costs after you recieve the Kaolin Clay. I have sent around 6 kg's of the finest pharmacuetical grade Kaolin to another member for a total cost to her of $25. Just PM me with your address and I will send you a few kg's as you are in Australia. Steve. :D

I am such a fan of Steve's clay.
He has very kindly sent me quite a few kg's of it, and I have been using it in every batch for a few weeks now. I find that the clay definitely does act as a fixative for the fo/or eo's.
The clay soap has been excellent for my oily summer skin, it's really calmed it right down, and teenage DS is benefiting from it a lot also.
Thanks Steve, Whisks you should take Steve up on his kind offer and try it out, I promise you will love it.
Oh and I wanted to add...I have those pink muffin moulds too, I've only used them a couple of times though, but recognised them straight away.
I don't know Steve, pink moulds, pink soap.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

you know i ordered some clays from heirloom not so long ago, and still haven't gotten around to using them yet....el slacko, i am....but i am taking steve up on the offer too irresistable to refuse, and now you say there are beautification benefits, what can i say??
this is so exciting!!! dare i say steve is a bit of a hero doing this??
can clay be used as a titanium dioxide replacement too??

ETA: i just found out that kaolin extends TD

What size are your bars? They look the same size as mine that I do in square pvc pipe. Mine are 2 x 2 x 3.5

Whisks, you'll love this clay.
It's super fine and easy to mix in, I mix one heaped tablespoon per 500gm of oils, stick blend it in before I mix my lye solution in.
This clay is great because it doesn't affect the colour, another clay that I have that I used for a while made the soap come out slate grey, dark, but with a white lather. Not too bad, but not very pretty!
And the clay definitely makes the fragrance last longer.

Hi Kittywings, The soap out of the muffin molds measures 3 1/4" x 1 5/8" x 1 1/4" thick and I will weigh it for you. Weight may be strange as these soaps contain at least 15% Kaolin Clay which is bound to influence the weight in some way. Thank's Chrissy and Whisks, I am that glad you appreciate my free clay (Plus postage only).
If this Clay is meant to hold the scent, would it be possible to use it to capture the scent from flowers by burying them in in for a few weeks? just a thought. Steve :D

I weighed a bar and it came in at 4.1oz's.

Latest posts

Back