Jewelweed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovey

Reaction score
I tried to post earlier but being new @ this, I think I failed..
I am looking for a source for jewelweed leaves (chopped/crushed) to make my poison ivy soap..my place I did order it from no longer carries jewelweed..
If anyone can help, I would so appreciate it..
thanks
lovey

Thanks Hazel for the information. they do have some jewelweed stuff but no leaves..I will keep lookig :eek:)

Is Poison Ivy a serious concern in your area? If so, you probably know that Jewelweed grows in the same conditions and so is likely very close by.
You could try wildcrafting it... or as was mentioned, growing it in your own yard. We have the stuff EVERYWHERE here (Western New York) so I would never have thought to get some from a supplier.

I am curious... How do you incorporate it into soap?

some use chopped or ground up fresh stems and leaves. but I've read the root has more of the "active".

I need to do more research - is the "active" water or oil soluble? Is the "active" still present in the dried material? Is the "active" stable at high pH? Heck, is the "active" even truly "active"?

So much info, I so appreciate..I have been gone for 3 days..
I have thought of growing it myself..I have not found it here in La. of course I live in town..
Tomorrow..
lovey

There was a site I found that had a ton of different herbs, right now I cant remember the name. I will try, and do some searching to see if it comes up. I hate when I can't remember something!

edit - sigh, no jewelweed! They have so many herbs I thought for sure they would have it. I am going to link it so others can have it.

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/categ ... egoryID=14

I have purchased several items from these, they are wonderful ppl, I met them in Tx. @ a soapers conventions several years ago..like 2006..
Thanks for sharing..
I am contacting 3Bears this morn..
We do not have lots of poison ivy-ers here, but when attending craft shows, I have ppl glad to find it.. This weekend (craft fair) I met a lady that use to make Horsetail ointment..said its good for the ivy.? May have to check into that..
later
lovey

Back