It's Official

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for asking Donnie!

The retail end of the business is slow, but that is giving me time to pursue the wholesale end of my business. My ad hit the streets today and the grand opening is in 2 weeks so I'm looking forward to watching how this fall continues to develop.

Hi Lyndi!
I'm new to the forum (found you all yesterday) and so glad I have! Although I didn't get to travel your journey in the forum with you as your business bloomed into a store, read this thread and watched your pictures as your dream opened up for you with excitement! Beautiful store! I am really happy for you! I am Pershing a similar dream as yours but my main focus will be as a supplier to tourist stores and other places.
Do you have a registry for people? That would an idea to boost return customers. Just a thought that I have. Are you ready for your grand opening?! What is the date set? And is your production room finished? I am excited to see a picture of it! :)
I wish all the best to you with your store. What is the name of it?

Thank you Wick's End. I have a Soap Club for my retail customers with their email and I'm going to start a monthly newsletter for them too.

My Grand Opening is next weekend and definately ready, lots of product made. The store is called Malaspina Soap Factory Inc. I'll get some pics up of the production area soon.

Wholesaling is a wonderful end of the business, for me it is part of the business to help round things out. Good for you for being willing to pursue your dreams.....

I am new to the forum, too. I just read this topic, and you have done such an amazing job! Congrats on this new adventure.

It's so fulfilling when dreams come true. WTG!

This is the first that I've seen of this thread.

Thanks for sharing your dream with all of us.

How did your grand opening go? I hope you sold out, or wait maybe not all sold out as you need time to make more and have ready....

I use to have a gift basket business back in the late 80's when folks didn't know what a gift basket was. It was a wonderful time having my own shop.

Thank you - the Grand Opening was pretty quiet - I don't I advertised it enough, but that's okay. It was busy the day before and the day after.... I do love having my own shop and I can see the growth happening even just over the last month, which is encouraging.

glad to hear that you can see an increase during your first month.

Remember advertise, advertise, and advertise.

There are many ways to advertise without having to lay out a large amount of money.

example: make up small samples of various soaps, attache a business card and send someone (if you can't get someone to watch your store) or go on a day that you are close, if you do have a closed day and go to near by shopping malls, wall around and offer free samples to folks. If you have several different (5 - 7 types of soap) sample allow the people to choose their sample.

Display your samples on a very nice silver serving tray. You might even offer some type of deal on the back of your business card that has an expiration date so that they would need to get into the shop within the next few weeks.

One thing that also did good for me was I had a birthday registration. So when someone came in I asked if they wanted to register as they would receive (in your case soap) a free bar of soap on their birthday. This also builds a list for you to send notices out about events or new products that you have made and that are now available for sale.

Keep us posted.

I think your timing to open before the upcoming holiday season is very good and wish you the best.

Thanks Mariflo - it's going okay - like any new business it is a little slow but in the 6 weeks I've been open I am seeing a constant growth week to week, plus people are not asking about aromatherapy consultations as word gets out that I'm a Clinical Aromatherapist. Loving it and thank you for asking.

Latest posts

Back