Issues Making Cold Process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyHappyHour

Reaction score
I could really use some help. I am use to making hot process and decided to start experimenting more with cold process. Ive made cold process before and never had an issue! I have been using the lots of lather brambleberry base and the last 4 cold process soaps I have made have all acted up so badly I want to cry!
The one I made tonight poured perfectly however after I poured it about a minute later it started expanding in the mold like crazy, upon removing the extra the soap looked like a hot process mess underneath! Im so frustrated and just wanna ball up and cry. I've used these butters several times before why and I having an issue all of a sudden )= :crazy:

Are you using same amounts, same water amount, same lye, same fragrance/EO as before?

Im using the same amount of butter, lye and water. Same amount of fragrance oils but different kinds. The ones I've been using though all show perfect pour with great reviews.

It may be that the fragrances behave fine in HP when you are adding them after saponification is complete. But in CP, some fragrances can cause separation or acceleration or morphing when in contact with active lye.

I actually tried it again right after. I researched all my fragrances they all are suppose to act perfect in CP but I tried letting my butter and lye cool to 140 rather then the 170 I was pouring. I don't know why that made a huge difference. But I also poured the frag later and didnt use my stick blender to mix this time so Im not sure what made the diff. Same measurement and frag and so far there is no expanding so Im not sure which made the diff.

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but that temp seems pretty high to me? Normally, I soap at about 90F - 110F... My soaps overheat when I try and CPOP them at 170F, so I end up just insulating them to gel. Soap expands when it overheats, I think. I know if I'm HP-ing and it gets too hot it tries to climb up out of the pot. And if I'm gelling and have a soap that's overheating, it climbs up the sides of the mold.

I agree with grayceworks, that temp is awful high, I like to soap at 85-100 degrees. My other thought is in the fragrance oil type and quantity, especially at those temps.

Question for you - I love to check out people's links on their sig lines. Are you sure you want to add your Etsy store link to your sig line when it's an empty storefront? Personally, I'd take it down until you have items listed.

Thank you all for the help ladies I must be heating up my oils to much. I'll watch it more as for the post about my signature which was completely unrelated to my forum I made the signature over a year ago when I was active on etsy. I made one forum post this year and that would be this one so I really find that it was not of importance to change my signature for one post. Thank you :)

Back