Issue with cutting, Again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadySarah370

Reaction score
So I had it happen again... waited 24 hours and my soap chucked in pcs or shred. So here is my recipe:
Water: 11.4 oz
Lye: 4.3 oz
Olive: 12 oz
Coconut: 9 oz
Palm: 6 oz
Castor: 1.5 oz
Almond: 1.5 oz

Additives:
BB Wild Rose (slightly accelerates)
Rose Mica

I am wondering what I did wrong. Perhaps I should check more often to see how hard the bar is, what are your suggestions?

This is a different recipe than before. I also changed the battery in my scale to make sure I was weighing things at the correct weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You waited too long and the soap got too hard. Your loaf only needs to be firm like a block of cheddar cheese.

You waited too long and the soap got too hard. Your loaf only needs to be firm like a block of cheddar cheese.
How early should I check it? My olive oil soap needed 2 days. This soap I gave 24 hours.

Also, I did not add oil to the mica I just put it in the batter w/o it. Would that have made a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you add the mica doesn't make a difference.

I generally start checking my soap at 8 hours then every couple hours after. With my high lard recipe, I can unmold around 10 hours.

I usually soap in the morning so I can cut before bed.

Strange that it became so hard after so short time when you have 50% soft oils and no hardening additives like salt, vinegar or sodium lactate. If you did add sodium lactate but not have it written down in your recipe, I have heard the soap can be brittle and break apart if you use too much of it. The same with salt. Are you sure you did not add any additive except from mica and fragrance?

Perhaps your soap is lye heavy? You could have accidentally measured anything wrong or forgot one of the oils. Lye heavy soaps can be very brittle and break apart easily. Have you done a zap test?

What did you use to cut your soap with? If you have a very hard or brittle soap, a thick knife kan make it break. If you were able to use a wire cutter, it could not have been too hard to cut and should not break apart only because of you perhaps waited a little long to cut.

My guess is that your soap is lye heavy.

I agree 100% with Obsidian about cutting when the texture is like young cheddar or colby cheese. I usually cut somewhere around 12-18 hours for a typical recipe, but it can vary -- you can't go by time, you need to go by firmness.

How are you cutting the soap? With a knife or a wire or a bench scraper (dough cutter)? Soap is more likely to fracture, break, or chip when using a knife than with a wire or scraper.

The recipe as written in Post 1 is fine -- 4.3 ounces NaOH gives 3-4% superfat for the weights of the oils listed. The water is more than I'd use, but still within normal amounts.

When you add the mica doesn't make a difference.

I generally start checking my soap at 8 hours then every couple hours after. With my high lard recipe, I can unmold around 10 hours.

I usually soap in the morning so I can cut before bed.
Ok cool thank you so much!

I have to agree with the others. Just waited too long to cut. I too can cut mine between 10-18 hours. Also, as stated sometimes it's what you are using to cut that may be the issue.

I have to agree with the others. Just waited too long to cut. I too can cut mine between 10-18 hours. Also, as stated sometimes it's what you are using to cut that may be the issue.
I am using a soap cutter. I will for sure keep that time in mind. Thanks for the help :)

Latest posts

Back