Is Titanium Dioxide the Culprit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
As you would all know, I have had issues lately with my batches siezing, I have tried all different methods to try and find out what is going wrong.
Anyway I think I have identified the problem
I think it is the titanium dioxide. Has anyone else had any issues with this hastening trace?
It did it to me last night but I got away with it because I didnt discount my water, but it definitely tried to seize!

Hmm...I use TD quite often and it has never caused a seize on me.

How much are you using? The maximum I use is 1 tsp ppo to prevent chalkiness and weird things happening colorwise, but even at a 33% lye solution, 1 tsp ppo always soaps beautifully for me. Maybe someone who soaps it at a higher usage rate will share their experiences.

Have you ruled out any of the oils/fats, F/Os, milks, and the temps that you soap at?

IrishLass

I use a scant 1/4 tsp ppo and I add it to my warm oils before the lye. I use the kind that is oil or water soluble but I don't think it is all that soluble. I see it floating around in the oils. Once I sb everything it does lighten up or whiten my soap mixture. More than 1/4tsp and I get chalky. I don't think I see a connection between using it and getting A. I will pay more attention next time. Hhmmm....this is an interesting thread....

Back into it

Chrissy I am so glad you put your soaping boots back on. It can be scarry trying something again after a mishap.
Those soaps you sent me For Christmas are perfect. Especially that Grapefruit fragranced one the colours are wonderfu;. I must photograph them and display that here.Keep it up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have had my mishaps in soaping and it would make me want to die at first.
Your next one will be even better.

Ugh! I read TABLESPOON! LOL! I have one in the mold right now that's looks to be a hot mess because I added 4 TABLESPOONS to a 4 pound batch instead of teaspoons. What a difference a coupla letters makes. :oops:

So what do I do now? Can I rebatch this puppy or do I send it to the great big bathtub in the sky?
LJA

Oh your poor thing. Just wait it out and see what happens when it's done!
I don't think td can hurt you, most facial cosmetics are full of it. Your batch may come out a little chalky I am thinking, but wait and see.

UPDATE!

I unmolded and cut the crazy-amounted TD soap today. LOL! Thought you guys might like to see how it turned out. The weird thing is, this was only my second time using LabColors colorant and when I poured the soap into the mold, it was putrid green and yellow. It's hard to judge whether you have enough colorant (or too much for that matter) because it looks totally differen't from the final color anyway. Weird. I have to play with it more. Anyway - the green did turn blue and the yellow did turn white, and it wasn't crumbly, at least. It's too "chalky" for my liking (as ChrissyB pointed out) but a learning experience. Next time I'll add it in TEASPOONS!! LOL! :shock:
Thanks for the help! :)

P.S. For those of you scared of LabColors now, dont be. The other time I used it, the colors were dead on when I mixed them. Maybe it's just the "azure" one.

Onto the pic:

summersky.jpg

Wow!!! Those are awesome!!! What did you scent them with??? Gotta try lab colors! Way to go! 8)

I scented them with Midnight Pomegranate, but the scent was also overwhelmed with the TD. It smells like scent mixed with baby powder. Not a great thing. :wink:

I got the LabColors from Brambleberry...

LJA said:
Ugh! I read TABLESPOON! LOL! I have one in the mold right now that's looks to be a hot mess because I added 4 TABLESPOONS to a 4 pound batch instead of teaspoons. What a difference a coupla letters makes. :oops:

So what do I do now? Can I rebatch this puppy or do I send it to the great big bathtub in the sky?
LJA

They would probably make a good sunscreen... :lol:

(sorry... had to say it... :wink: )

That's beautiful! Have you been swirling a long time? I just bought some TD but haven't tried it yet, I am gonig to mark the package right now though!

Yes, TD does make for a fast trace when you use a lot of it ... lol .. that teamed with SA is how I got my first soap on a stick.

I am lovin" those soaps. Gotta try Brambleberry. I wish they would get their shopping cart together.

kellistarr said:
I am lovin" those soaps. Gotta try Brambleberry. I wish they would get their shopping cart together.

What do you mean? I just ordered from them last night, their shopping cart works just fine :)

Thanks for being kind, everyone...lol. (I know they're not the best). These are my second swirl (marbeling?) The first one I did was a lime margarita... They're just In The Pot swirls. I don't have the courage up yet to try the more complicated ones.

Back