Is This Right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hud

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a guest at my home who is leaving to his country tomorrow morning, he saw me making soap and he asked if it's possible to take it with him and cure it where he is. I don't know if it is right to put it inside Ziploc bags then wrap them with plastic bubbles? They'll stay in there for 2-3 days. I made them today, CP OO, HP shampoo bars.
I appreciate all your input.
Thanks in advance.
Hudly

Yep fine to take but I would wrap them in butchers\craft paper personally to absorb any sweat or errant oil still present. I cure my soap in milk cartons which I use as molds and they are always oily when I finally pull them off a week or later.

Yep fine to take but I would wrap them in butchers\craft paper personally to absorb any sweat or errant oil still present. I cure my soap in milk cartons which I use as molds and they are always oily when I finally pull them off a week or later.

Thank you ClaraSuds, I took your advice. I wrapped them with craft paper individually then I put each one of them in separate bag. I attached the curing and storing instructions too.
I'll wait for few days until he tells me how the soap is doing, I am a little nervous.

Thank you ClaraSuds, I took your advice. I wrapped them with craft paper individually then I put each one of them in separate bag. I attached the curing and storing instructions too.
I'll wait for few days until he tells me how the soap is doing, I am a little nervous.
That's cute, I half expect your more eager to see your soap off at the gate.

That's cute, I half expect your more eager to see your soap off at the gate.
That's right :)

My friend reached his distant now, the babies are doing good(I mean my soap) he'll cure them in his fridge because he has to leave to work all day and it's very hot and humid over there. Does any one know if the fridge is a good curing place? I appreciate all your help. Thank you in advance.

one fridge issue i have is my fridge STINKS. no matter how much i clean it, it smells awful. i think there is something nasty growing deep within the innards I cant get at. i have looked under the fridge, behind the fridge, took out all the parts i could possibly take out. its driving me crazy and making my food taste awful. huge amounts of baking soda and even charcoal do not help. vinegar did not help.

so i would warn him if he has anything stinky in the fridge the soap could possibly absorb odors.

i dont know how it would affect the curing.
fridges dehydrate things, but you want the soap to dry, so it might make it dry a little faster. thats just a wild guess on my part.

one fridge issue i have is my fridge STINKS. no matter how much i clean it, it smells awful. i think there is something nasty growing deep within the innards I cant get at. i have looked under the fridge, behind the fridge, took out all the parts i could possibly take out. its driving me crazy and making my food taste awful. huge amounts of baking soda and even charcoal do not help. vinegar did not help.

so i would warn him if he has anything stinky in the fridge the soap could possibly absorb odors.

fridges dehydrate things, but you want the soap to dry, so it might make it dry a little faster. thats just a wild guess on my part.
The odor could be from something getting into the insulation of the fridge, such as meat thawing out in the freezer, or even the fridge section and running into the insulation. If that has happened nothing can really be done other than taking out and replacing all the insulation, which is pretty much not worth the cost. This is fairly common if a freezer goes out while one is on vacation in hot weather. Hope you manage to figure it out

hud- I live in a very humid area. I still cure my soap out in open air. He just needs to not use it for 4 weeks minimum, and preferably 6-8 weeks. I consider my soaps cured at 8 weeks, as that is when it is at its lowest weight. But he needs to cut it now if he has not already.

I feel your pain and I feel empathy for you. Several years back I moved to a house with stinky fridge because someone forgot fish there for long time in hot humid weather. I suffered for long time even though I cleaned it so much, finally after almost 2 years, when we left the house the fridge had no smell, the owner got it back clean and we had all the headache.:smile:

hud- I live in a very humid area. I still cure my soap out in open air. He just needs to not use it for 4 weeks minimum, and preferably 6-8 weeks. I consider my soaps cured at 8 weeks, as that is when it is at its lowest weight. But he needs to cut it now if he has not already.

Susie, I know in Louisiana the humidity goes up to 100% during the day time in many areas which is similar to my friend's weather. I didn't know you could do that.
Well thank you, I will let him know.

Susie, what is your water discount? I am thinking that maybe the high water discount keep your soap from spoiling in very humid climate.

I use the default water amount on SoapCalc.net. Nothing fancy. I just have never found any need to change it. Tell your friend to set those bars out in an open area on top of a shelf or something and sit them on their sides, then flip every week so all sides get equal air flow. They will be fine. They just may take an extra week or two to cure completely-I consider mine cured at 6-8 weeks rather than 4-6 weeks.

My theory is that they are going to spend the majority of their time in damp bathrooms, so they may as well start as they are going to go on.

I use the default water amount on SoapCalc.net. Nothing fancy. I just have never found any need to change it. Tell your friend to set those bars out in an open area on top of a shelf or something and sit them on their sides, then flip every week so all sides get equal air flow. They will be fine. They just may take an extra week or two to cure completely-I consider mine cured at 6-8 weeks rather than 4-6 weeks.

My theory is that they are going to spend the majority of their time in damp bathrooms, so they may as well start as they are going to go on.

Thank you Susie, I thought maybe your water discount is big. I talked to my friend last week, he said that he didn't feel he likes to have to soap curing inside the fridge, so he just had them spread over a cotton towel in one of his rooms that he doesn't use. The area over there gets dust storms more often so it will not work for him to cure them outside. I'll check with him again to be sure that he is leaving a fan on by the babies ( I mean the soap)while he is out.
Thank you for your enrichment, I learned some thing new from you.
I am appreciated.:smile:

Back