Is my first soap usable?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistsz1

Reaction score
Hey,
Yesterday I've made my first ever soap.
I used 400 g ( i think this is ~13 oz) lard, 54 g sodium hydroxide ( ~ 1,7 oz) and 120 g water (4 oz). The temperature of both was about 45 C.
I've added a bit of fragrance oil at the end.

Now it's hard and bright white and smells lovely:
IMG_20140207_214055_1.jpg

Now the real question:
I don't get the zap on my tongue when I try to gently lick it, but it turns my phenolphthalein purple.
Is this ok?
And how long should it cure? (I thought of one month)

I'm a young person and english is not my native language so sorry for any errors.

Thanks,
Alex

Your soap will be safe to use, I would wait at least a week before I tried it thoough.

It will be MUCH better after about 6 weeks.

Nice job!

Oh, and soap is very very alkaline, I don't use phenolphthalein but I would think it would turn bright but that is just the nature of soap.

Your soap will be safe to use, I would wait at least a week before I tried it thoough.

It will be MUCH better after about 6 weeks.

Nice job!

Thank you! :smile:

I've red that you can put it out after 24 hours, so I did it ;)

Next time I'll wait (a little) longer. I was very curious.

I totally understand, I couldn't wait for my first batch to be ready, either! if you want to give it a try, go ahead and wash your hands with it. (Not your face or body, just hands!) It may not be very good right now - it may leave your hands dry and probably won't lather much. But then try again in 6 weeks, or even once a week for six weeks if you want.

Latest posts

Back