Is it safe to make CP soap whilst pregnant?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hailinguk

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I know that the lye can be harmful / not to breath it in.

Will I be OK mixing up the batch in the garden if wearing a mask and goggles or shall I get hubby to do this stage just to be safe?

:)

as long as you are not hovering over the lye fumes, trying to inhale them, i would think you would be fine. if it was me, i would continue to take precautions and make my soap. being pregnant wouldn't stop me. :)

congrats on your baby! :)

IMO Id say get the hubby to do it and play it safe, or work with MP which doesnt use raw lye at the stage you will be using it (bases are pre-made etc)... got a lot riding on that yanno!?!!? wouldnt want anything bad to happen .... everyone has their opinions but i always opt on the side of extreme caution when theres a "bun in da oven" ;)

:) noooo worries :)

also be VERY VERY VERY careful of what EO's you use and expose yourself to... Id consult your MD before you use any essential oils...

here is a handy link for reference, but I always would take an MDs advice over anything you can find online as each person has sensitivities that can vary by the person...

http://www.altmd.com/Articles/Aromather ... -Pregnancy

Gosh I hope so LOL because I am 38 weeks and have been making soap the whole time!
As usual, don't breathe the lye fumes.. and make some considerations when handling EOs.. but otherwise, I would say no worries!

lil outlaws - is this a second baby? I remember you being preggers awhile ago..

(sry to thread jack)

Congrats to all the baby-makers here :)

another thread hijack...
this morning a lady gave birth on the side of the freeway here! make sure you get to the hospital in time guys!! :D

I would certainly speak with your OBGYN or Midwife. The health of your baby is too important to leave to the advice of strangers on an intenet forum.

Talk to your doctor. When I was pregnant (3 and 4 year olds here) my ob didn't want me making soap. There is more to worry about than lye fumes. EOs and FOs can have components that are unsafe to pregnant women. There are some EO's (can't remember off the top of my head) that can pre-term contractions/labor. Be VERY careful.

hailinguk said:
Hi,

I'm 15 weeks pregnant and I know that the lye can be harmful / not to breath it in.

Will I be OK mixing up the batch in the garden if wearing a mask and goggles or shall I get hubby to do this stage just to be safe?

Just so we're clear on something:

You're pregnant. He's not. Work it for all it's worth!

"Honey, can you mix the lye for me?"
"Honey, can you reach that mold for me on the top shelf?"

Mix up some lotions and make him massage your feet while you're at it.

Hey congrats! Can you believe I'm envious of all you young mothers?!? Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy! On the EOs...I've been telling everyone I talk to at fairs about pregnant women and young children not using EOs without dr. permission. No one so far has even heard of the caution. We all need to educate customers on that one.

BakingNana, I agree.

Folks assume that if you use eo's that there's no risk . . . I LOVE eo's, but people need to know that they can still end up with an allergy or a weird skin reaction.

If it were me, I would still soap preggo, but I would put a high velocity fan in my soaping area and suck the air out the window when mixing anything odiferous. And take all the other normal precautions. And read all the cautions regarding any of the EO's used, so that you know which ones you ought to be most careful of.

But, Muzhik's recommendation is rather hard to resist . . . maybe just go with that. Sounds funner.

Latest posts

Back