Is it possible to hand mix small batches of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

Reaction score
Hi all, I found a soap design with layering. I am looking forward to testing it out but one of the layers is very small, like 1 ounce of batter. I only have a large stick blender so that's not going to work. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck hand mixing a small layer like this with a spoon in a small cup? If I can get it emulsified that should be good enough right, or what do you think? I ordered a model paint mixer on Amazon but it won't be here until next week. Wondering if I'm better off waiting or if this might be doable :) thanks

Why couldn't you just separate out the 1 ounce from one of the next layers? That little amount it would set up very quickly and you wouldn't have to mix it separately. Also with that small of a batch you would have to have the most accurate precision scale made available or it could go very wrong very easily.
IMO it seems silly to want to mix that small of a batch when it could easily be taken out of another layer that's already been mixed.

Why couldn't you just separate out the 1 ounce from one of the next layers? That little amount it would set up very quickly and you wouldn't have to mix it separately. Also with that small of a batch you would have to have the most accurate precision scale made available or it could go very wrong very easily.
IMO it seems silly to want to mix that small of a batch when it could easily be taken out of another layer that's already been mixed.

Well I was thinking that might work but there are a couple of other layers that need to go on top and set before I use the color of the small batch again. I think I will have to mix the layers separately in that case, or the rest of the batch might thicken too quick in the container while I wait, or am I approaching this completely wrong?

but there are a couple of other layers that need to go on top and set before I use the color of the small batch again
So take some out of each layer before the small layer and before coloring to get that little bit. If you measure out your colorants, you will get it the same color. And with that small of a layer it isn't going to matter too much if it's slightly lighter or darker.

What is the recipe that you are using? If you use a slow trace recipe, you should have time to separate everything. Also using a wide spatula when you pour will help stop the next layer from mixing with the previous layer. It's not fool proof but it works.

You might want to consider getting a Norpro Cordless Mini Mixer. I use it for mixing tiny batches and for blending micas with oils too. It comes with 5 different attachments but I only use the stainless steel one.
If you need to soap right now though it's probably best to go with what Jcandleattic suggested. Just be sure to mix to very light trace initially and only add colourants and scents as you are preparing to pour each layer. Lightly stir the main batch every now and again with a spatula will help it remain fluid. When batter sits untouched for a while it tends to start setting up.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your project

thanks all for your suggestions, for next time I'll have the mini mixer but I am pleased to report that I switched up the pattern a bit and mixed larger layers, that way I could use my immersion blender. I think it might have been OK hand mixing though as it set up very quickly. I will experiment a bit more with a small batch in the future. Much appreciated.

This is a video on soaping without a stick blender if you ever come up on this issue again. I haven't tried it but it seems like it might work for you?

Latest posts

Back