Is it me or are there New people...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think sometimes there are flushes of new members joining SMF. Some people do ask questions that are a little off-the-wall odd or are repetitive. But that's not to say the questions shouldn't be asked -- I'd sure hate to hear people are inhibited from asking for help by what is being said in this particular thread.

It is sure nice to know when people have done some homework first to try to figure out the answer on their own. It's also nice to get questions about specific issues -- it's hard to respond to a "tell me everything there is to know about topic X" kind of query.

But again, I want to encourage new people to get the help they need.

The word was ODD.
When I wrote this there were a bunch of just odd questions from people that had Just joined, and I don't think stuck around.
By this reply you can see that I guess it is just something that happens.

There definitely are waves of new people. I’d say 5-10 at a time then an adjustment period and 2-4 people stay. Repeat every 2-3 months. I don’t know if there is some sort of correlating factor but it is a trend

I IN NO WAY meant for people NOT to ask questions !
Sure, many should have done some kind of search and clearly you can see they didn't.
I don't recommend re-summoning a 3 year old post, but have no issue with re-opening a 1 year old post to follow up or ask something RELATED and NEW to the topic. It SHOWS that they are doing a search in my eyes.
Search then ask is best I think for all. Sometimes a search leads to more questions and that is great .

A necro-post expounding on the original idea is probably a good thing ... i.e. the Shaving Soap threads. "I tried this and it was great!" is always welcome too. Someone resurrecting an old post only to ask the original question and then stating "I didn't read all the posts" makes me facepalm, literally. :)

I'm one of the "old" new people. I have to make more effort to come here and engage. Facebook and the soap groups there make it so easy especially for the more simple questions, or opinion gathering. This forum is deeper. Usually a little digging around answers my questions without having to post anything at all.

Back