Introduction and QUESTIONS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBeard

Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Matt and my wife and I just moved to McKinney, TX (north of Dallas) from Las Vegas last month.
I've always been a "make it myself" kinda guy. I've been making my own limoncello and beer for a few years, and have been playing with the idea of making soap (and doing some research on ingredients and recipes) for a while now. And I finally went out today to start getting the stuff so that I can jump into it!
I've got most of the stuff (EVOO, Canola, Coconut, Equipment) BUT....
At the risk of sounding like the utter novice that I am, I can't find some key ingredients and I'm at a loss as to where to go next.
Specifically:
-Lye
-Palm Oil
-Castor Oil

Also wondering who the best supplier of essential oils is.
There's always Whole Foods, but knowing what I do of them, I can't help but think I'd paying way more than I need to. :shock:

I wound up at Michael's today and just picked up a couple of MP kits (one shea, one goat milk) and a couple select FOs and colorings.
It's the first and last MP that I plan on doing.
That's not why I wanted to take this up, and isn't helping me learn how to do it to the level that I aspire to - but I just felt the pinch to get started and felt compelled to start making soap RIGHT NOW!

Alright, so. I've looked on the board and have found some of the sites to order from.
But can anyone point me in the direction of any brick n' mortar stores that carry this stuff?
TIA

Matt
McKinney, TX

Good to see you. Welcome from southern Illinois. :wave: I havent found any brick and mortar stores around me that sell anything more than MP supplies. There are a couple of local alternative shops that sell EOs, but they are about 75% more expensive than I can find them at bulkapothacary.com or brambleberry.com you should be able to get small bottles of castor oil at any local store with a pharmacy section, but palm oil and lye you will probably have to buy online. I purchased mine from amazon.
But I am still a noob, so maybe someone else has some better options.

ucmj22 said:
But I am still a noob, so maybe someone else has some better options.

Methinks thou art much less a noob than I, so your reply is appreciated!
A big part of the reason I asked was because of the sneaking suspicion that some online acquisition is inevitable . . .
Seems like that's the case.

I can by castor locally (cheapest) at Wal Mart. It is a **** sight cheaper online from soapmaking suppliers though.

Palm oil can be purchased from my local Sprout's - here is the link to the product: http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87/edpc10#j236. I can also get it at Albertson's but it is a bunch cheaper at Sprouts. Again, way less expensive online somewhere like Bramble Berry or WSP.

Lye I can get from my local Ace Hardware. It is the Rooto brand. It is about $3.99/16oz. Essentials Depot is by far the cheapest online supplier I have found. 10lb of food grade lye for $35.99 and free shipping plus a further 10% off the order with the coupon code EDPC10!

I am in SoCal so not sure if you would have the same availability.

Latest posts

Back