Thank you already!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBell123

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here and new to soapmaking. I've posted a few questions in the newbie section and have received such helpful answers. Thank you so much! I thought I should introduce myself, especially because I plan on posting more questions in a few minutes. Lol I have read a lot on these forums this week and am so impressed by the experience and depth of knowledge!

I live in Canada and have decided to get into soapmaking as a fun and creative hobby to do with my preteen daughter. I'd like to make soap for our household use and for Christmas gifts. I am on maternity leave now, so learning and studying up on soapmaking has been a great activity for my mind as I nurse my baby girl.

We will be making our first batches today and will post photos and updates of how they turn out!

Welcome, you can post photos in the Photo Gallery when you have them.

Welcome.gif

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I decided to make @Zany_in_CO No Slime Castile (the variation with coconut oil and castor oil) for my first soap, since it had so many positive reviews and comments on the threads. I think I read almost all of them first! Thanks for the welcome and the recipe, Zany!

Here are some photos, just after cutting. There was the smallest crack on the top of one part that you can see on the loaf. It isn't noticeable once we cut it. It was pretty hard but still very easy to cut when we unmolded it and cut it this morning. I think it looks great for a first batch and I tested a little sliver and it already soaps up very nicely, nice bubbles and soft. There seems to be a very slightly different color around the edges. I don't know if you can tell in the photos. It doesn't bother me at all, but I'm curious if it will cure to all one color?

I have them down in my basement on a white coated metal shoe rack. That will be ok right? It's in good condition and I already had it. I thought the slats would make for really good airflow for curing. My basement storage room has a window so it isn't totally dark, but I closed the white blinds to tone it down and it is darker than the main floor, so probably as good as it gets.

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_123851019.jpg
    PXL_20231028_123851019.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231028_131057587.jpg
    PXL_20231028_131057587.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231028_131050627.jpg
    PXL_20231028_131050627.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Great work there, Mama, and congrats on your first! You do realize, don't you, that there is no turning back now. :) It's a great color. I do see a rind. I get that too occasionally when I use certain colorants. Sometimes it eventually all becomes the same color.

Just a note of caution. I would put a piece of wax or parchment paper between the rack and your soaps. Sometimes metal can poke through the coating and cause issues. It'll have enough air flow, especially if you rotate them once per week. I don't worry about lighting.

You will have to report back in 6 weeks!!

Latest posts

Back