Interpret a theme - Xmas 2014

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my Winter Forest soap. Scented with spruce, rosemary, himalayan cedarwood & sweet birch essential oils. I used ground parsley for the green portion and the tan pieces are curls from a batch of unscented beer soap.

IMG_0806[1].jpg

BB's Holiday Candy mixed with Peppermint. Yes, it's melt and pour, but these things fly off the shelves in December and I gotta make that money, honey.
Not a thing wrong with m&p. Your layers look gorgeous. My daughter does beautiful m&p and I cannot even do simple m&p, so I have full respect for anyone that can make it work and love the beautiful soaps that can result. At the end of the day it comes down to what sells for a lot of us

My mom makes a batch of this every year, it requires 3 pours.
Scented with Southern Garden Scents (now Rustic Escentuals, I think) Applejack & Peel:
The green is from spirulina, which is a bit too "pea green". Usually we use a green oxide, but we were out.

Christmas_stripe.JPG

Sugared Plum (I think Lebermuth). Colored with FD&C Blue and dusted with purple mica on top. I added TD b/c I was actually trying to get a crackled purple look, but no dice. Still, it's, pretty.

SugarPlum.JPG

Maybe my salt crumbles were too fine and that's why my stars aren't as bold as IrishLass's? I'm planning on doing a blue and blue-green swirl and trying for a Van Gogh "Starry Night" affect.

Lovely soaps, dixie. How in the world did you do that green, red and white one? It looks like a M&P project?!?

The best I can try to reverse engineer it... pour thin tray of red and thin tray of white. Wait. Carefully cut into strips. Line loaf mold on bottom and sides of loaf mold with alternating color strips. Pour green. Top with alternating color strips.

We do this over a weekend so each pour is only about 12 hours apart, so the soap is still new and sticks well.

Since the soap doubles each time, the end result is 4 logs of soap.

First we do a log of red. We slice it into strips using a wire cheese slicer.

We put the strips of red in 2 logs, then pour the white. (We usually add some TD so the white part is WHITE.)

Again using the wire cheese slicer, we slice these two logs so we get long strips of red and white striped soap. The strips are the full length of the log (about ten inches).

Then we line the mold with the red and white striped soap.

My mold doesn't make a perfect square - it's about 3.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches tall. (something like that). So since this technique makes square bars, we use sheets of mylar from the quilting part of the craft store to give us a little extra height on the ends. The red and white striped parts keep the soap in on the sides, but not on the front and back, so we put a piece of Mylar there.

We pour the green, and use a bit of it as "grout" (like you said) to glue the edges together. Then put a piece of red and white on top.

The strips are very flexible, so we put some soap scraps in the middle to act as braces, so the middle bar of each log has some extra bits.

ETA: We gel, so I think that soaps up the red and white stripes during the final step and helps them stick together.

Last edited:
I'm just tickled that another soaper was that interested!

This produces 4 logs. The first and second batches are 2.5 pounds, and the final batch is 4 pounds. This isn't perfect - there are some left over red and white strips and some left over green. I have a round column mold and I sometimes take the left over red and white strips and line that with them, then pour the extra green in there. It doesn't makes a perfect red-and-white circle, but it still looks good.

It is just adorable and would also be awesome to make a whimsical frame for a stamp design. I love the column idea too. Hats off to you!

Woah Dixiedragon! With that kind of talent and attention to detail... I'm so excited to get one of your soaps in the swap! It's just lovely, nice work!!!

First we do a log of red. We slice it into strips using a wire cheese slicer.

We put the strips of red in 2 logs, then pour the white.

So for this stage, did you cut thin red bars width-wise across the mold (like thin regular bars), then space them out in a new mold, and then pour white in between them?

Not sure I'm visualizing correctly... it is, after all, quite late after a bit of bit of wine. :p

Back