Insulating wooden mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassgirl

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just got my first wooden log mold and I'm about to make my first batch with it. Do I still need to wrap the wooden mold in a blanket or is the wood enough to keep it warm? The lid apparently fits down inside the mold to sit on top of the soap, but my batches are always so liquidy (they barely trace) that I'm afraid I may not be able to use the lid.

Thanks in advance!

congrats on the wooden log mold! I think you'll just need to experiment with it. I've found that especially in fall and winter I need to snug mine up with a blanket or towel, unless it's a type that will really overheat (milk soap or one with honey for example). Regarding the lid, if you decide to use it you can always put a piece of plastic wrap on top of your batch, smooth it out and it will be fine. But if you want to texture your tops or put 'stuff' on top of your batch, you could use a piece of a cardboard box to cover, then blanket or not as you need to. Have fun!!

Thanks for the tips!

I'm not using any milk or honey, but it's a little fallish here this weekend, so maybe I'll wrap it a bit in my usual blanket. I'm not advanced enough to be adding any fancy stuff on top, but I like the cardboard idea...I'll probably try that.

Thanks again!

Now I'm a little confused about lining the wooden mold. All I have is wax paper (gonna pick up some of that craft foam when I go to the big city next weekend) so I laid a few pieces crossways in the mold. Of course, it's leaking...not too bad, but not too good either. How do you use one piece and fold up the corners without creating wrinkles in the soap?

A lot depends on your wood, the depth and length of the mold, even how it is constructed. Mine are very well insulated and have a 1 piece liner that is 1/4" thick, or use HDPE as the liner. My lids fit on top and have lips that cover the edges, holding in the heat.

In summary, it depends on the construction and materials.
:)
Paul :wink:

kwahlne said:

Oh my gosh, that's brilliant! :D

My next question would be, do you use that same method if you use craft foam?

A lot depends on your wood, the depth and length of the mold, even how it is constructed. Mine are very well insulated and have a 1 piece liner that is 1/4" thick, or use HDPE as the liner. My lids fit on top and have lips that cover the edges, holding in the heat.

This one is probably not as nice as yours, unfortunately! :oops: It's a 4 lb. mold with no liner. My 4 lbs. of oils filled it almost to the top and I had to put the extra in another small mold. I followed the advice above and put a piece of cardboard over the top and set the lid on top of that and put a heavy blanket on top of THAT. I hope it's warm enough.

Back