INS? and other Soap/Cal questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebelshope

Reaction score
I am trying to run a recipe I found on line through the soapcalc. I am wondering about INS number means and how can I bring it down? Also if I am using milk instead of water how to figure out how much milk fat I have? If it is whole milk would I just multiply the number of oz x .04? for 4% milk?

Well I have not gotten an answer and I wondered if this was such a simple answer that nobody wanted to answer it or if nobody really knew.

SO I did a little research myself and thought I would share it for people who didn't know. I guess what INS is not really known, or I didn't find it. I was written about in the 1930 and a man named McDaniel is credited for discovering it. It is a number that will make the "ideal" soap. Although common sense is need too, if you have an INS that is around 160, you should have a good soap. That is basically what I found out about it. I got the information from http://www.kangarooblue.com/soaplab/category/soap-safety/

Thanks for providing the link. I found it very informative. I've used soapcalc to create my recipes, and they've all turned out great if I kept the numbers in the ranges they recommend. When I use goat milk to replace water, I don't plug it in to calculate fat percentage. I use canned concentrated GM, so I add that after the oils and lye/water are combined.

Naomi

Doesn't adding the GM at the end make the soap too liquidy? I really don't know so I am just asking. Or do you reduce the amount of water you use?

I will be using fresh goats milk ... well fresh frozen. :)

soapcalc

from what i have learned, these are the "ideal" ranges to look for when developing a recipe:

hardness: 36-50
cleansing: 15-30
conditioning: 45-80
bubbly: 25-45
creamy: 15-35
iodine (ins) 160-170

hope this may help!

I usually take the INS numbers with a grain of salt because they haven't been very consistent for me in reality. I've made lots of different formulas that had different INS and Iodine ranges where my finished soap came out awesome even though the numbers indicated it should have a different outcome.

Nowadays I mainly look at the fatty acid profile percentages because it seems to give me a more consistant idea of how my soap will turn out. Not that the fatty acid profile is 100% accurate either, mind you- for there is a synergy that takes place that is hard to measure on paper when different oil combinations are used, with the result being that your finished soap ends up completely defying the numbers. Because of that, I use the profiles more as a general guide instead of an absolute authority.

P.S. Adding goat milk at the end won't make your soap too liquidy as long as you account for it as part of your total liquid (or water) amount.

IrishLass :)

What IrishLass said!

I think I read somewhere on Miller Soaps that shooting for the 140/150/160 range was the target.

I use Soapmaker, no INS.

You would need to apply the amount of goat milk to your total water. Say the recipe calls for 200g of water. I mix the lye with 100g of water, add that to the oils, then stir in 100g of canned evaporated goat milk.

Naomi

Edited: Sorry, I missed the part where you mentioned you will be using fresh frozen milk. Then that would be your total "water", adding the lye to the frozen milk.

Latest posts

Back